Icing Cupcakes???

Baking By JillyPlot Updated 9 May 2011 , 10:43am by Scubabe

JillyPlot Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:26am
post #1 of 3

I'm just starting to bake and decorate cakes alot, and I was asked to do about 50 cupcakes for Saturday evening for a party with my boyfriend's family. What is the easiest way to ice them? If you use a piping bag with a tip, what's the best way to do that?

2 replies
stevieleannescupcakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:37am
post #2 of 3

Hi icon_smile.gif I would say the quickest way to ice 50 cupcakes would be to use a piping bag and a 1M ( large star ). Buttercream icing would be your best thing to use also because the recipy is pretty straight forward.

To do a swirl with a 1M tip, start at the edge of the cupcake holding your bag at 90 degrees upwards, pipe clockwise or anti clockwise ( whatever feels comfortable for you icon_smile.gif and pipe in a sprial in to the middle. When you reach the middle release pressure and lift bag. Now you want to do this again but further in to get some height on to your cupcake swirl.

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Scubabe Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:43am
post #3 of 3

I bake them, leave the cuppies to sit in trays for 5-10 mins, then transfer cuppies straight to cupcake boxes. I then pipe the icing directly onto the cuppies in the boxes, add any embellishments if required, close the lid and done.

I use a large star tip and disposable piping bags.

For orders of 50+, the night before, I:
- make the icings up and bag them (with tip in bottom but not cut the bag)
- weight/measure cuppie ingredients and leave them out (esp butter)
- put the cases in the cupcake trays
- make up the cupcake boxes they will be delivered in

All I have to do next morning is make up the batter, bake the cuppies, pipe the icing, done!

There are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube of how to pipe the icing on top of a cupcake, go do a search you will find some great demos I'm sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%