Does Anyone Have Any Tips On Rolling Out Mmf?

Baking By Amyleigh3480 Updated 11 May 2011 , 7:51pm by Crazboutcakes

Amyleigh3480 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amyleigh3480 Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

I recently made homemade marshmallow fondant and had some major problems when I rolled it out. I used a silicone mat and dusted it with corn starch and powdered sugar and it still stuck to the mat. I made it work, but it was just a 6" round cake. I don't know how I would cover a bigger cake. I'm used to using store bought fondant so MMF is pretty new to me. I did kneed in some extra powdered sugar to make it less sticky. Should I have maybe added more? I didn't want to add too much and dry it out. Does anyone have any tips for rolling out MMF?

Thank you,
Amy

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:53am
post #2 of 8

I'm like you - I find that home-made fondant is much stickier and softer than ready-made. I usually work more powdered sugar into it and a little shortening, too. That way it's stiffer, but doesn't dry out as easily as if you only added the powdered sugar.

brittsaqtpie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittsaqtpie1 Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:43am
post #3 of 8

if its sticky then theres not enough powdered sugar in it. or you need to put shortening down on the mat rather than cornstarch/pwd sugar. I much prefer mmf to the premade, tastes better and can be easier to work with.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:59am
post #4 of 8

I use homemade MMF all the time and I find if you do not let it rest at least over night than it is very difficult to work with. The following day it is very stiff so I will put it in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds depending how much I have (always remember the smaller the less you microwave) but once that is done you may have to just dust it but I do not use a mat and my table top works great, make sure the surface also crisco on it including you hands, just makes it easier. HTH that's what I do icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I use homemade MMF all the time and I find if you do not let it rest at least over night than it is very difficult to work with. The following day it is very stiff so I will put it in the microwave for about 10 to 15 seconds depending how much I have (always remember the smaller the less you microwave) but once that is done you may have to just dust it but I do not use a mat and my table top works great, make sure the surface also crisco on it including you hands, just makes it easier. HTH that's what I do icon_smile.gif

I second this! Exactly what I do as well!

MiltonCakeDude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiltonCakeDude Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 8

I've worked with MMF a bit and had these issues with it sticking to the table and silicone mat before. Thanks for these tips - I'll try the 'let it rest overnight' trick for sure.

I have a follow up question on preparing the work surface for rolling out fondant: do you wipe the counter/mat down with shortening only or do you also use cornstart/powdered sugar? Doesn't covering the table/mat in shortening make the fondant slick and shiny? If so, would it 'absorb' back into the fondant to leave a matte finish? Any tips on this would be great thanks!

LMArtacho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LMArtacho Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 8

I use MMF all the time. I stir in as much powdered sugar as I can , then I knead the rest in on the glass table top or granite counter spread with a thin layer of Crisco, until it is smooth and no longer tacky. I also roll it out on either a glass table top or my granite countertops spread with a thin layer of Crisco. This seems to work really well. I have never let it "rest" overnight before using. I just make it, roll it, and cover my cakes.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakeEmboss

I've worked with MMF a bit and had these issues with it sticking to the table and silicone mat before. Thanks for these tips - I'll try the 'let it rest overnight' trick for sure.

I have a follow up question on preparing the work surface for rolling out fondant: do you wipe the counter/mat down with shortening only or do you also use cornstart/powdered sugar? Doesn't covering the table/mat in shortening make the fondant slick and shiny? If so, would it 'absorb' back into the fondant to leave a matte finish? Any tips on this would be great thanks!

One my MMF has settled over night I normally will not put any more PS in it unless it sticky to the touch and just knead a little at a time until it feels dry and plyable. As far as wiping the counter/mat with shortning, just a little to keep it from sticking ans you may also want to put some one your hands again just a little at a time. You may need to reapply if it sticks to the table or work surface but just a little at a time other wise it will get slick and mushy. And it does leave a mat finish to it when all is said and done. If alos follow up after cake is finished and paint other some colors to get it to POP! Looks really nice. You can see some of my photos to get and idea if your interested. thumbs_up.gif Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%