Classes In Australia

Decorating By KalliCakes Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm by Kristy838383

KalliCakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

I'm toying with the idea of taking a trip to Australia and thought it would be fabulous to take some cake decorating classes while there (no itinerary set, so could be anywhere). Does anyone know of any classes I can take while there? The Planet Cake ones look absolutely, positively first class, but so are their prices--so trying to get more ideas.... Thanks SO much!

10 replies
AussieSarahLou Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #2 of 11

which state are you going too?

princesscris Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 11

Hi Kallicakes

Yes, the Planet Cake courses are expensive but totally worth the dollars (IMHO).

Iced Affair, also in Sydney (Camperdown), offer cheaper courses but I haven't taken any, so can't comment on value for money. They have a class timetable on their website (icedaffair.com.au). The owners of the shop are completely lovely and very helpful - I often buy my supplies from there.

Sweet Art, again in Sydney (Paddington), also offer classes at cheaper prices than Planet Cake. All the details are on their website (sweetart.com.au).

All three shops are about 15 minutes from the CBD by bus, so are very easy to get to.

There's probably a lot of other options, but those are the three that I know of.

Kind regards,
Cris.

(edited for typo)

SugarLamp Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 11

It would really depend on where in Australia you are headed, what standard you're at and what sort of decorating you were planning on doing. (Planet Cake do a particular style at a particular standard... as do many others).

If you are headed to Qld, NSW or SA, I can recommend.

thumbs_up.gif

KalliCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:15am
post #5 of 11

Thank you all! :0) Sorry, it didn't show that anyone replied, so sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for the suggestions! What i want to do is actually try to take in most of Australia for a 3-4 week trip. It would be a whirlwind, with a few highlights that I would need to take in--with the itinerary created around the classes. I'll look into your suggestions. Many, many thanks!

Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:01am
post #6 of 11

Here is a link for ones available in Perth - Western Australia.

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=cake+decorating+classes+perth+wa&oq=cake+decorating+classes&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1454l6684l0l23l23l0l6l6l0l397l3714l0.10.2.5&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=68fe0e5c7d162e2e&biw=1024&bih=704

The one marked E on the map - Major Cakes isn't there anymore - so you can tick that off the list

Where might you be flying in from?

Bluehue.

laurenboxall Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:42am
post #7 of 11

In Sydney there is also Handi (who used to teach at Planet Cake)
http://www.handiscakes.com/

I haven't done is course personally but have been in his studio decorating fundraising cupcakes whilst he was teaching someone and I learnt heaps from just watching and a few tips that he showed me with the cupcakes themselves.

KalliCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 11

Sounds fabulous!! I'll be coming from the states-Ohio and flying into wherever Delta flies, using frequent flyer miles. :0) As you probably can tell, I'm more of a go with the flow kind of traveler, creating the journey as I go based on my experiences and opportunities that arise--but the classes will take some planning, which will help model the itinerary for me. :0) Thanks again! You all have been a big help!

Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11

Make sure you take a lap top and let us Australians know where you are (as in what State and what City) - you just never know you might get to meet one of us thumbs_up.gif
Plus you will have many to shout out to you if you need a hand or (god forbid) get lost icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

KalliCakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Bluehue!! :0)

Kristy838383 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 11

KalliCakes - I'm not sure if you have already made your trip out there, but I have to say the Planet Cake classes while expensive were TOTALLY worth it. I will look at doing another during my next family visit.

Also, check out Whimsical Cakehouse http://www.facebook.com/whimsicalcakehouse
Linda (owner and operator) is a friend of a friend and was teaching classes at Planet Cake, but just announced that she will be starting up her own classes soon. I know I'll be looking for her classes, as they will probably be cheaper than PC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%