Classes In Australia

Decorating By KalliCakes Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm by Kristy838383

KalliCakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

I'm toying with the idea of taking a trip to Australia and thought it would be fabulous to take some cake decorating classes while there (no itinerary set, so could be anywhere). Does anyone know of any classes I can take while there? The Planet Cake ones look absolutely, positively first class, but so are their prices--so trying to get more ideas.... Thanks SO much!

10 replies
AussieSarahLou Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:21am
post #2 of 11

which state are you going too?

princesscris Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #3 of 11

Hi Kallicakes

Yes, the Planet Cake courses are expensive but totally worth the dollars (IMHO).

Iced Affair, also in Sydney (Camperdown), offer cheaper courses but I haven't taken any, so can't comment on value for money. They have a class timetable on their website ( The owners of the shop are completely lovely and very helpful - I often buy my supplies from there.

Sweet Art, again in Sydney (Paddington), also offer classes at cheaper prices than Planet Cake. All the details are on their website (

All three shops are about 15 minutes from the CBD by bus, so are very easy to get to.

There's probably a lot of other options, but those are the three that I know of.

Kind regards,

(edited for typo)

SugarLamp Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 11

It would really depend on where in Australia you are headed, what standard you're at and what sort of decorating you were planning on doing. (Planet Cake do a particular style at a particular standard... as do many others).

If you are headed to Qld, NSW or SA, I can recommend.

KalliCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:15am
post #5 of 11

Thank you all! :0) Sorry, it didn't show that anyone replied, so sorry for the delay in response. Thanks for the suggestions! What i want to do is actually try to take in most of Australia for a 3-4 week trip. It would be a whirlwind, with a few highlights that I would need to take in--with the itinerary created around the classes. I'll look into your suggestions. Many, many thanks!

Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:01am
post #6 of 11

Here is a link for ones available in Perth - Western Australia.,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=68fe0e5c7d162e2e&biw=1024&bih=704

The one marked E on the map - Major Cakes isn't there anymore - so you can tick that off the list

Where might you be flying in from?

laurenboxall Posted 30 May 2011 , 5:42am
post #7 of 11

In Sydney there is also Handi (who used to teach at Planet Cake)

I haven't done is course personally but have been in his studio decorating fundraising cupcakes whilst he was teaching someone and I learnt heaps from just watching and a few tips that he showed me with the cupcakes themselves.

KalliCakes Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 11

Sounds fabulous!! I'll be coming from the states-Ohio and flying into wherever Delta flies, using frequent flyer miles. :0) As you probably can tell, I'm more of a go with the flow kind of traveler, creating the journey as I go based on my experiences and opportunities that arise--but the classes will take some planning, which will help model the itinerary for me. :0) Thanks again! You all have been a big help!

Bluehue Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 11

Make sure you take a lap top and let us Australians know where you are (as in what State and what City) - you just never know you might get to meet one of us thumbs_up.gif
Plus you will have many to shout out to you if you need a hand or (god forbid) get lost icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

KalliCakes Posted 4 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks Bluehue!! :0)

Kristy838383 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 11

KalliCakes - I'm not sure if you have already made your trip out there, but I have to say the Planet Cake classes while expensive were TOTALLY worth it. I will look at doing another during my next family visit.

Also, check out Whimsical Cakehouse
Linda (owner and operator) is a friend of a friend and was teaching classes at Planet Cake, but just announced that she will be starting up her own classes soon. I know I'll be looking for her classes, as they will probably be cheaper than PC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%