Bouquet Icing Sliding Off...lol!

Baking By zespri Updated 13 May 2011 , 4:51pm by Dustbunny729

zespri Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 14

I made my very first cupcake bouquet yesterday for mothers day, very proud, I think it's so pretty! However on the journey over, three of them lost their icing.... oh no! The first one went 'plop' onto my wrist. Because I couldn't let go with both hands, my husband (who was driving) had to lick it off my wrist like a vampire..lol When the next two fell I just thought what the heck, they can stay there until we reach the destination.

It was just for family, so not a total disaster, but can anyone tell me how other people manage to stop theirs from sliding off in transit? I did try to tilt the bottom row upwards just a little bit, have I not tilted them enough? Are there any other tricks for keeping the icing on?

This is it:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2027962

T.I.A.!

13 replies
tokazodo Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 14

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/coloring-icing.cfm

This page shows you how to stripe an icing bag.

I hope this helps.

Serena4016 Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 14

I just made 3 cupcake bouquets (for the first time also) this weekend and I too was worried about the icing coming off because it was a very soft (cream cheese) frosting and a very moist cupcake and well, gravity. I am happy to report the icing did NOT fall off. I actually wiped the top of the cupcakes off because they were so moist and refrigerated the cupcakes after icing so that the icing would firm up and I did NOT put the cupcakes in the bouquet until I was heading out the door. Actually, on one of them I brought the cupcakes and the bouquet separately and when I arrived at my destination. I put the cupcakes in the bouquet in the car! They stayed in the center of the table while I was there for about an hour and no slipping. I don't know if this is any help at all...sounds like ther was moisture between the cupcake and icing or the icing was too thin.

Serena4016 Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 14

I just made 3 cupcake bouquets (for the first time also) this weekend and I too was worried about the icing coming off because it was a very soft (cream cheese) frosting and a very moist cupcake and well, gravity. I am happy to report the icing did NOT fall off. I actually wiped the top of the cupcakes off because they were so moist and refrigerated the cupcakes after icing so that the icing would firm up and I did NOT put the cupcakes in the bouquet until I was heading out the door. Actually, on one of them I brought the cupcakes and the bouquet separately and when I arrived at my destination. I put the cupcakes in the bouquet in the car! They stayed in the center of the table while I was there for about an hour and no slipping. I don't know if this is any help at all...sounds like ther was moisture between the cupcake and icing or the icing was too thin.

sillywabbitz Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 14

First I think your coloring is prettiericon_smile.gif it looks more natural. I just usually load a smaller amount of one color down one side and more of the other color on top of it. Also I place my icing on a piece of Saran wrap so I can control placement and portions of each color then roll up the Saran long ways and pop it into my piping bag. This is called the plug method I believe.

In to the icing falling officon_smile.gif one recommendation I read was to tap the cupcake onto the counter after it's iced. I do thus but mostly I make sure when I start making my rosettes that my initial contact with the cupcake has some pressure so the frosting isn't floating on the cupcake. I do have trouble if it's hot outside but I generally don't fight gravity and set mine to sit reasonable face up along the bottomicon_smile.gif I hope that helps a little.

zespri Posted 8 May 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 14

Those are great tips ladies, really great, thank you!

sillywabbitz Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 14

I just remembered another trick. If the cupcakes are really moist, you can put a small smear of buttercream on the cupcake and then pipe the flower. BC seems to stick better to BC.

Paperfishies Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:37am
post #11 of 14

You can still stripe to make it look like that...Someone posted a link to wiltons site and another mentioned the plug method. The plug method works pretty well to do two toned.

I think your roses look wonderful, though, as they are. Very pretty.

ApplegumPam Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:41am
post #12 of 14

Don't be disappointed! icon_twisted.gif

Read the comments section (towards the end) and you will see that Amanda describes how she paints the inside of the piping bag! icon_biggrin.gif

zespri Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #13 of 14

The disappointment was because the plug method with the stripe painted WAS how I did it, I was hoping there was another trick that I was missing. Clearly I just need more practice I guess! No worries icon_smile.gif

Dustbunny729 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 14

I think your flowers are much prettier than the air brushed ones. Yours look natural and the air brushed ones look fake. You did a beautiful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%