Will Gumpaste Soften In Bc

Decorating By luckylibra Updated 8 May 2011 , 8:36pm by Serena4016

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake and 5 dozen mini cupcakes for my ex-SIL (we all get along) for graduation from pharmacy school.. she wants white frosting with the letter B (for the school) on each of the the mini cupcakes. I cut out 60 B's from gumpaste as I wanted them to harden so they stand up in the frosting but now I am wondering if they will start to soften and fall overnight. She wants to pick them up on Thursday night and serve them on Friday night so I planned to make them Wednesday night and keep in an airtight container, frost Thursday and put the letters in them. Will this work?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

4 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

As far as I know, once gumpaste has hardened, it's not going to soften in BC. You should be fine. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 5

It should be okay as long as you don't close the cupcakes with the gumpaste in an air tight container.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

My personal experience is that if gum paste is thin and the BC has a fair amount of liquid in it (my recipe calls for 6-8 oz. of heavy whipping cream per 7 cup batch) then YES, the gum paste will soften at the point where the BC hits the piece.

Remember, the GP is also absorbing moisture from the cake it's stuck into, so it's softening up to the point where it hits the BC.

One option is to dip the bottom of the GP piece in melted chocolate, which won't absorb anything.

Rae

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, I'm pretty sure they will soften!! I made peace sign cupcakes 24 hours ahead of time out of 50/50 gumpaste fondant blend and I noticed they were getting soft upon delivery. It did not matter much in that instance because they were laying flat and I did not need to stand them up. Any time after that I always put anything I want to stand up and not soften in at the very lasy minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%