Cupcakes Too Small

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 9 May 2011 , 5:19pm by stevieleannescupcakes

robbynjaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbynjaye Posted 8 May 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I recently started selling cupcakes and so far the feeback has been gerat but some people are saying that my cupcakes are too small. I use the standard cupcakes liners and a standard cupcake tray. I'm not sure what else to use.
There is one problem im noticing that I need a little help with. My cupcakes rise beautifly then fall. They do not dome at the top. I use all purpose flour with baking soda and buttermilk. I never get that dome at the top. So Im always guessing as to how much to scoop b/c if I scoop too much in the cups, they overflow onto each other. If i scoop too little, they dont rise over the paper and look like minis.
When i bake my red velvet cupcakes, they rise nicely. I have a regular electric oven. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

3 replies
WeeSooz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeeSooz Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 4

I usually use muffin cases and a muffin tin, which I think is slightly larger than a standard cupcake tin? (perhaps someone could correct me if that's wrong). That makes the size I usually see at the cupcake carts etc here.

Perhaps if you cooked them a wee bit longer they might hold their shape better?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 4

Give this a try for your doming issue.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

And as far as making them bigger, if enough of your clients are saying they should be bigger, go ahead and make them bigger. Perhaps you could experiment with offering jumbo cupcakes.

stevieleannescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stevieleannescupcakes Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 4

I had this problem too when I first started out. I was using standard cupcake cases. I got told to try regular muffin cases and pans ( the pans tend to be best deeper from my opinion ).

I find now they look taller and fuller and my customers are more than pleased with the size icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%