How Do I Use Isomalt Sticks?

Sugar Work By cakemomma1979 Updated 9 May 2011 , 9:10pm by Karen421

cakemomma1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomma1979 Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 6

I am brand new to isomalts - but would LOVE to be able to make little jewels icon_smile.gif

My first attempt? I took the isomalts sticks (not alot) and broke it up, placed it in a glass bowl (boy was that dumb!!) and stuck it in the microwave - needless to say the glass shattered all over my glass cooktop - sooooooo not fun to clean up!

So if anyone has any suggests, tips, instructions ANYTHING - I would so appreciate it!! Thanks so much!!

5 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't used mine yet, but I was told to microwave them in the little silicone cupcake cups. I bought some diamond shaped ones so I could used the ends as a spout to pour. I was told to put one cup in the other to give a bit more stability when handling. The lady I bought everything from said she tried it out for the first time while making dinner and it took her about fifteen minutes from start to finish.

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 6

If you scroll down to the candy making topic you'll find tons of topics on isomalt.

Good luck! (I had a pyrex baking pan shatter on me when I pulled it out of the oven once, so I feel your pain on that clean up!)

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 6

That's odd. I use a pyrex measuring cup for all of my re-melting of isomalt. It should work just fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

Hot pyrex doesn't like all stove tops. Especially if the stove top is cold.

I've used the Wilton yellow handed measuring cups for melting the sticks in the mircowave, that's what Cake Play used at the convention, with out a problem.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 9 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 6

Ok - I saw this on Ultimate Cake Off and I tried it and it worked. I bought a new hot melt glue gun and put the stick in that and use that to melt the sticks, and filled my jewel molds with it. It was a little "goopy" by time I was finished, other than that it worked. When the glue gun cooled the rest of the stick and the "goopy" parts just popped off. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%