Flying With A Cake?

Decorating By Dub0Saturn Updated 8 May 2011 , 8:58pm by BlakesCakes

Dub0Saturn Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:43am
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a surprise retirement cake for my mom in June (she doesn't even know I'll be there), and I would have to do the baking in someone else's kitchen. So I'm considering baking and filling the cakes and flying them up then doing the decorating there. Should I freeze the cakes first? How should I wrap them? How should I pack them? Can you even fly with cakes? Help please!

2 replies
Lelka Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:42am
post #2 of 3

I flew with a cake once. Boxed very neatly in the box, snugly and tight. Be prepared to open the box for TSA to look at it and admire your work. Make sure never leave it out of your sight. But otherwise it was pretty easy and fast.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 May 2011 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 3

I've flown with cakes several times. I've never had any problems. Make sure that there is nothing that requires refrigeration because with air travel, you never know what might delay you past the window of food safety.

Plan your design so that it will fit in a box that will fit in an overhead bin or under the seat in front of you--single layer cakes work really well--, so make sure you know what type of aircraft you'll be flying in. You can google the type of plane and several sites will offer the dimensions of those spaces.

I don't freeze the cake to fly. I make sure that it's attached well to the board and I put a piece of no-skid mat under the baseboard. I put it in a sturdy box that can be easily opened if TSA needs to look at it. Make sure that it's fairly heavy so that it stays upright on the xray belt.

Once on the plane, you may need to add something small under the box to keep it level on either the floor or in the bin.

My grandson's 1st birthday cakes traveled from Cleveland, OH to Austin, TX--about 5 hrs. total of flying time, including a plane change, with absolutely no damage.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%