Refrigerating Cake And Moisture Loss - What To Do

Decorating By tsal Updated 9 May 2011 , 1:57am by LindaF144a

tsal Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:13am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I baked a champagne cake last night. The recipe has butter in it, and I find that once butter cakes are refrigerated, they never quite come back to the same texture.

I am planning on filling and covering with strawberry SMBC (made with pasteurized egg whites and strawberry jam). I am going to finish the cake tonight and refrigerate it until tomorrow a.m. I am worried that the texture will be harder and drier after refrigeration.

Should I add a couple of layers of whipped cream filling to offset the dryness? I'm not sure what to do.

Suggestions?

6 replies
sugarandstuff Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:56am
post #2 of 7

You could brush on simple syrup to your layers.

tsal Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7

I'm afraid that would make it too sweet though.

LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 7

I don't agree that butter cakes never come back to the same texture. If you are icing a cake and setting it up it is in and out of the refrigerator all the time.

If I put pureed fruit in my cakes, I refrigerate them. I cover up the part that has been cut. I then will let the slice of cake sit to get to room temp before I eat it. I made a cake once with raspberry SMBC and the frosting turned a darker color after two days on the counter. After that I started putting cakes with this kind of icing in the fridge. I have noticed once that I was eating a dry cake. It was way moister than the yellow BC cakes my MIL used to make, so I swear by scratch and have no problems refrigerating a cake that has a perishable filling.

I know people say putting a cake in the refrigerator dries it out, but that has not been my experience. I agree on small cakes, like cupcakes it could be an issue. But on an 8" or larger, I just don't have that problem.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I don't agree that butter cakes never come back to the same texture. If you are icing a cake and setting it up it is in and out of the refrigerator all the time.

If I put pureed fruit in my cakes, I refrigerate them. I cover up the part that has been cut. I then will let the slice of cake sit to get to room temp before I eat it. I made a cake once with raspberry SMBC and the frosting turned a darker color after two days on the counter. After that I started putting cakes with this kind of icing in the fridge. I have noticed once that I was eating a dry cake. It was way moister than the yellow BC cakes my MIL used to make, so I swear by scratch and have no problems refrigerating a cake that has a perishable filling.

I know people say putting a cake in the refrigerator dries it out, but that has not been my experience. I agree on small cakes, like cupcakes it could be an issue. But on an 8" or larger, I just don't have that problem.

I agree with Linda, but not all scratch recipes are the same...

Adding regular simple syrup does not make a cake more sweet. It just makes it moist. Only exception is if you make a super thick and sweet syrup on purpose or flavor it with something like honey.

Linda, if you put a little bit of lemon juice in your fruit SMBCs it preserves the color of the fruit and prevents browning without changing the flavor. I normally add lemon juice when I puree. Just wanted to share.

Jen

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 7

As long as the cake is covered in icing it shouldn't dry out or change texture. Maybe if that one recipe does it, you could mess with the recipe to see if that helps.

LindaF144a Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I agree with Linda, but not all scratch recipes are the same...

Adding regular simple syrup does not make a cake more sweet. It just makes it moist. Only exception is if you make a super thick and sweet syrup on purpose or flavor it with something like honey.

Linda, if you put a little bit of lemon juice in your fruit SMBCs it preserves the color of the fruit and prevents browning without changing the flavor. I normally add lemon juice when I puree. Just wanted to share.

Jen

Jen,

Thanks for the tip. I'll be making raspberry SMBC this weekend. I will now add lemon juice to it also. I did not know this.
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%