Please Help!! Italian Meringue Buttercream Soupy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lounge By camomama5 Updated 7 May 2011 , 7:01am by FromScratchSF

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of 10

This is my 3rd attempt and I don't know if I want to scream or cry!! I dont yet have a standup mixer but I am using double wire whisk attachments. I got perfectly peaked egg whites even after I added all the sugar. It was beautiful. I even chilled the egg white/sugar syrup mix in deep chest freezer for 10 min. took it out, whipped again just for a minute and slowly added unsalted butter (about a TBSP) As SOON as I added first TBSP of butter it deflated AGAIN!!!!! I was so careful to make sure the meringue was around room temp, not warm. And my butter was not cold. It's softened. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??????????????It is so perfect until I add that butter. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:01am
post #2 of 10

Wait! It does that, you have to wait it out. Not sure about this deep chilling in the freezer method, but I'm an SMBC gal, not an IMBC gal. It is perfectly ugly and ruined looking until after you whip for a bit. God bless you for even attempting it without a stand mixer though.

camomama5 Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:08am
post #3 of 10

thank you! it did start to come back after the butter but after 5-10 minutes of whipping it started to look kind of like a melted cottage cheese kind of thing. I am so frustrated and disappointed. Will it come back again now??? I just stuck it back in the freezer to chill again but its not hot here. I live in NY state. And the heat's not even on.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:31am
post #4 of 10

STOP CHILLING IT.

That's your problem, you are breaking the meringue and not allowing the butter to emulsify with the sugar.

I make SMBC, but the science is exactly the same - check out my tutorial, link below.

Good luck,

Jen

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:39am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomama5

started to look kind of like a melted cottage cheese kind of thing. .

Normal. Then it comes back together.

camomama5 Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:17am
post #7 of 10

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read your link (Jen I think) and this is the most beautiful, delicious, easiest to work with icing!!!!!! I will never go back to that nasty Crisco and conf. sugar that I never liked anyway. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help! I was ready to throw the bowl through the wall.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:32am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by camomama5

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read your link (Jen I think) and this is the most beautiful, delicious, easiest to work with icing!!!!!! I will never go back to that nasty Crisco and conf. sugar that I never liked anyway. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help! I was ready to throw the bowl through the wall.

I'm so glad! Were you able to save your recipe or did you scrap it and use mine?

camomama5 Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:40am
post #9 of 10

I was able to save it. But with the next few batches it was perfect. I think my butter was not quite soft enough. AND I was whipping it on high after I added the butter. I made a raspberry (jam) filling with it as well as mocha (coffee and chocolate) and of course vanilla. Im considering doing lemon with a little real lemon juice. Not sure how the acid will affect the meringue. Doing a wedding cake.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:01am
post #10 of 10

You can add just juice, but I find it too tart, I prefer making lemon curd and adding that to it, it's one of my favorite variations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%