Serving Char For 3 Layer Cakes?

Lounge By CiNoRi Updated 12 May 2011 , 9:54am by indydebi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #1 of 12

There are serving chart guides for cake tiers 4 inches tall <2 layers>. Anyone know of a guide for 6in tiers <3 layers>?

TIA

11 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:47am
post #2 of 12

I think if you torte each of the three layers so you have an 1" cake layers with filling in between, then you put cake cardboard in at the 3" mark so you have basically two cakes for double the number of portions, because a 6" piece of cake doesn't fit on a cake plate.

I've never done it myself, but I'm sure others will weigh in with ideas.

CiNoRi Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 12

sorry to confuse.. I mean im looking to know how many servings are in a given 6" tall tier...verses the standard 4" tall tier

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:33am
post #4 of 12

Wilton seems to be saying that cakes from 4 to 6 in. high yield the same number of servings, because the pieces would be cut the same size (1 in. x 2 in.) It would be harder to cut a piece any smaller.

2 in. pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

3 in pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-3-inch-pans.cfm

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

sorry to confuse.. I mean im looking to know how many servings are in a given 6" tall tier...verses the standard 4" tall tier

LOL, I know that's what you are asking. A 6 or 7 inch piece of cake is too big to fit on a standard desser plate, so most people will not cut a 1x2x6" piece which is a pretty big piece. So they divide the tier in the middle with a cake board so that the yield is twice as much. So, going with a 6" round tier which, when a 4" tier gives you 12 pieces, then I'd say that a 6" high tier would give you 24 pieces. Maybe fewer if you wanted to cut slightly larger piece because they may not be a full 4" high. But really, it's what you or the customer wants to. You would need larger plate to properly plate a 6" high piece of cake. And if you're cutting the same number of pieces as a 4" piece, you'd need to charge 1.5 times you per serving price.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

Technically it's 50% more cake. So if an 8" tier that is 4" tall serves 20, then one that is 6" tall will serve 30... BUT... what pmarks0 is right. A 6" slice won't fit nicely on a dessert plate to most will take the bigger piece and divide it so you would be giving double the serving, only they'd be smaller.

But as far as how much extra cake they are getting... it's 50% more. So take the servings of a normal 4" tier and multiply it by 1.5 and there you go.

icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 12

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-3-inch-pans.cfm

If you look at this chart it says for cakes that are 3in to 6in tall. The idea being if you cut a piece in a 1x2 in piece the height can vary. While taller is a larger piece of cake, I don't think you can consider it different servings, unless you do as stated above and put a plate in the middle of the cake. Other wise you have to cut your pieces thinner then you will have issues getting those to the plate pretty. Plus as mentioned above, the cake may hang off the plates.

CiNoRi Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 12

Gotcha... i totally wasn't thinking like that.. but yea it makes perfect sense! Thanks for clarifying everyone!
I just kept thinking "more cake" means more servings lol

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 12

It does, but it also can mean just larger servings. Because the servings would be bigger, I would factor that into the costs.

CiNoRi Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 12

Definitely!

Thanky!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 May 2011 , 1:31am
post #11 of 12

Not more servings, but definitely charge more per serving. It's still more cake and more cost for you. Make sure you pass that cost on to the customer.

icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:54am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

Not more servings, but definitely charge more per serving. It's still more cake and more cost for you. Make sure you pass that cost on to the customer.

icon_biggrin.gif

ditto.

The number of servings is the same because the cutting surface is the same (an 8" cake is 8" across no matter how tall it is). An 8" cake serves 24. If we assume a 6" tall cake serves 50% more, ergo 36 pieces from this same cake, people really WOULD be complaining about "paper thin" slices of cake! (and folks on here complain that the wilton 1x2x4 is "dinky" anyway! Can you imagine the reaction to a 1x1x4?! icon_eek.gif)

But .... it's still 50% more cake per serving in a 6" tall slice vs a 4" tall slice. So in my practice of "doing the math", this means if your per slice price is $3 for a 4" tall cake, then your price for a 6" tall cake is $4.50/serving.

If I buy a large coke at Wendy's, it will cost me more money because there is more coke in the cup .... regardless of the fact that the bottom surface area is the same and it fits in my car's cup holder just fine! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%