Making Cupcakes For A Family Party - Sort Of...

Lounge By Mamasan Updated 16 May 2011 , 10:34pm by funcakes

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 7

Sorry for the long post - My niece has asked if I would make cupcakes for my great-niece's 1st birthday. The party is at her MIL's house, both sides of family are attending and there will be drama. My niece did try to head this off because she knows it will happen too - and asked MIL to bake cake for baby to put hands in.

How do I handle this gracefully? Normally this isn't a problem however, I think her MIL has hurt feelings, is a bit catty or both. The same niece asked me to do her cupcakes for her wedding which I was happy to do but MIL was angry about. MIL openly talked about how "yucky" they were at wedding. icon_mad.gif

6 replies
billiev2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiev2000 Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 7

If you hear her making comments about the cupcakes being "yucky" I would say"Oh, I'm so sorry you don't like my recipe. I wasn't aware that I needed to make adjustments to it. I've NEVER had ANY complaints so I just assumed they tasted good." Then quickly change the subject to what the topic should be about-- the child and her birthday.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 7

MIL doesn't sound like a happy person.

I would either make the cupcakes, ignore anything MIL has to say and just enjoy the party. Or, thank your niece for asking you, but tell her based off of the last reaction to your cupcakes from MIL, you think you better sit this one out.

Mamasan Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

MIL doesn't sound like a happy person.

I would either make the cupcakes, ignore anything MIL has to say and just enjoy the party. Or, thank your niece for asking you, but tell her based off of the last reaction to your cupcakes from MIL, you think you better sit this one out.

Oh TexasSugar... If you only knew the half of it! I'd bake us a nice little lemon cake and put a pot of coffee on. icon_biggrin.gif Everytime there is drama with these people my husband says Jerry Springer is going to call us, lol!

I spoke with my brother (her father) and I will do the Elmo cakepops, nothing more. Yesterday we received evites that said "bring your own food and drink". Needless to say, my family is a bit peeved. Should make for interesting discussion though... icon_confused.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

Uhmm, bring your own food and drinks???

Never heard of a party like that before, does that mean, since you have to provide your own food and drinks, you don't need to buy a present?

Mamasan Posted 13 May 2011 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Uhmm, bring your own food and drinks???

Never heard of a party like that before, does that mean, since you have to provide your own food and drinks, you don't need to buy a present?

Ursula - We have never, ever hosted a birthday party, bbq, celebration and asked anyone to bring a thing! My parents don't even want to attend and this is their first great grandchild.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 7

Okay, let's all just say it together and get it over with-
AWKWARD!

Bring your own food and drink? So, since I love to cook and bake my immediate family will sit down at the b'day party to a plate of pistachio crusted lamb chops, a balsamic reduction sauce, salad, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted root vegetables and fresh homemade whole wheat rolls accompanied by a nice red wine and the other guests will have cold cuts,
macaroni salad and sweet tea????

Good times, yeah-good times. LOL

Since it is a BYO food and drink, just suggest bring your own birthday cake-works for everyone that way. And to make it even easier, reduce the stress of cleaning up before and after and decorating, why doesn't everyone have their own celebration at home and film it and share it on facebook or youtube?? The wave of the future??

Funny, when these occasions come around I somehow just catch some kind of bug going around and can't get out of bed. But let's face it, celebrations like this make funny, funny family stories for decades. Years from now, family gathered around... Remember the b'day party when...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%