The Dreaded Bulge ..need Advice

Decorating By seedrv Updated 12 May 2011 , 11:52am by seedrv

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2026076

This tier was chocolate cake with the chocolate fudge filling here on CC. I told myself the filling wasnt firm enough but didnt make a good enough dam to fight the bulge. My question is, once the cake bulges, is there anything I can do to fix it?

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 12 May 2011 , 9:36am
post #2 of 5

Start over. I wonder if you can try and smooth it out with a smoother. I haven't tried this before, just curious.

Did the filling cover the dam you made? It looks like there was too much filling in there.
How long did you let the cake rest before putting on the fondant?

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:13am
post #3 of 5

I don't think you can do anything other then start over. It looks like either too much filling for the dam you made, or there is no dam, or you did not let the cake rest before covering it in fondant.

I would do like myslady said and try using a smoother, but I would not gaurentee anything. Good luck.

dawnlouiseharman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnlouiseharman Posted 12 May 2011 , 10:49am
post #4 of 5

i feel for you, i recently made a cake with a bulge, i thought it was air so put a pin in it and smoothed it over it looked ok till the next morning. Then it practically exploded and i had to re do the whole thing. nightmare!

Hope it turned out ok for you icon_smile.gif

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 12 May 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 5

I first txted a photo of the cake to the lady buying it. She thought it was adorable and didnt see the flaw but I told her what was wrong and basically gave her that tier. Just charged for a 2 tier cake. No one at her party noticed. I guess if you dont make cake, you dont hone in on things like that.

After many nights sleeping on it, I think I know why it went badly. I trimmed the sides off the cake (trying to make it a little bit wonky) and probably trimmed off my dam. That tier had a softer filling than the other tiers. I dont know much about ganache (and can barely get people to pay for cakes as it is without adding extra dollars in chocolate to the outside), but I think I might try Toba Garretts cake spackle to the sides of any cake I try to carve down in the future. Live and learn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%