Complimentary Top Tier For Wedding Cupcakes?

Business By NatalieC923 Updated 10 May 2011 , 6:02pm by Annabakescakes

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 12

It seems to be fairly common practice in my area to offer a complimentary top tier with a wedding cake to freeze. Or if they want to include it in the servings, to offer a free duplicate on the first anniversary. I now have a bride asking for the "cutting" cake at the top of the cupcake tower to be complimentary. This is different as it is obviously not to be frozen, and cupcakes are much cheaper around here that wedding cake slices (about 1/2 price). Do you offer the cake topper on cupcake tower for free? Do you offer a complimentary anniversary tier with cupcakes?

Thanks for any advice,
Natalie

11 replies
btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 12

I offer the cutting cake at a slightly reduced rate, but not free. And it's a plain bcream iced cake. Decorating it costs extra.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 12

If you're going to offer these things as complimentary, you should build the cost of them into your total price...so nothing is really complimentary, they just think it is. I'd bet most bakers do it that way.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:54am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

If you're going to offer these things as complimentary, you should build the cost of them into your total price...so nothing is really complimentary, they just think it is. I'd bet most bakers do it that way.

That is what EVERYBODY does, lol! I recently heard it explained on a Mattress Warehouse commercial. "The lady called and asked if we have free frames or free delivery........If the bed frame is actually free, why don't you stop by and pick one up for free the next time you are in the area? Or better yet, try having them deliver something to you for free.....The bed frame cost and delivery is built into the cost of the mattress."

So, If the top tier is actually free, go to one of your competitors and ask them for a free 6" cake. Then come let us know how it goes!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 12

Absolutely build it into your cost. Also, I would set parameters on the decorating (plain iced two later 6" cake with a simple border). If they want more decorating, they should pay a charge.

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 12

Thanks all. I got myself into this pickle because I already agreed to a price per cupcake (to meet that of a local respected store-front bakery) that doesn't really cover a "free" top tier. I never agreed to make it complimentary, so I'll just have to stick to the price and hope for the best. Live and learn...

Annabakescakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieC923

Thanks all. I got myself into this pickle because I already agreed to a price per cupcake (to meet that of a local respected store-front bakery) that doesn't really cover a "free" top tier. I never agreed to make it complimentary, so I'll just have to stick to the price and hope for the best. Live and learn...

So does the store front give a "free" top tier?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:

Or you could just tell the customer that the top tier is not complimentary, and that you already gave the customer the best price possible.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:08pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

Or you could just tell the customer that the top tier is not complimentary, and that you already gave the customer the best price possible.

icon_biggrin.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 12

I do a lot of cupcakes weddings that have a 6" cake used as the "cutting cake" or anniversary cake. I charge them my normal prices because the cake is always decorated to match the cupcakes. No one is going to buy a plain cake to sit on top of the cupcake stand. That would look stupid.

Now, if she wants a plain cake boxed and put in the back (not decorated, strickly for anniversary purposes only) then I would throw it in (assuming my usual practice was to offer a free anniversary cake). I would have about $8 and 20 minutes in the cake - big deal.

CakeLady1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLady1981 Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 12

The only thing we offer complimentary is the smash cake for a first birthday! (4' round BC)Everything is added into the cost whether they cut it, keep it, or serve it!

Annabakescakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 6:02pm
post #12 of 12

I do cute smash cakes that take over an hour, so I don't offer them for free. I love my smash cakes! lol

I don't offer anything for free, except I will let people borrow my plateaus if they give me a deposit check and order their wedding cake from me. I am thinking of renting them out, but the other cake place in the area lets people borrow. ....but their prices are higher than I want to charge, so I guess it is built in. (like their free top tiers, EVERYTIME! Even if it is an 8" sq.) I am thinking of nickel and diming people, and only charge them for what they want. That way I don't have to pad prices in other areas....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%