Make Silver/gun Metal Icing?

Decorating By kathleen000 Updated 6 May 2011 , 8:30pm by Jennifer353

kathleen000 Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 3

I need to make gun metal (if I can't make gun metal then silver is OK) icing. I am making wedding cupcakes. They will be covered with a fondany heart and I need to pipe a "B" on the heart in the gun metal icing. Should Ii use buttercream or royal icing? How do I achieve this color? The wedding is in August and though it is indoors, it may be hot.

2 replies
DeniseNH Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 3

Just add a dot of black gel color to royal icing then make your monograms ahead of time and let them dry. If that doesn't give you the color you need or if they dry a lighter gray then take a nice big fluffy makeup brush (clean and new) and dust the letters (still stuck to waxed paper) with a little silver color - not a lot and to get a dark silver don't use nu-silver. Creating the letters with royal on waxed paper will hold them in place while you dust them then just take a length of sewing thread, hold each end in each hand and wiggle the thread under the letters to pop them off with minimal breakage.

Jennifer353 Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 3

Oh a couple of weeks ago or so, someone accidently made this colour starting off with a dark colour and she said it was wonderful... I'll try to find the post

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%