Help: Dipping Cake Bites?

Decorating By besweetcp Updated 6 May 2011 , 10:51pm by Dayti

besweetcp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
besweetcp Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

I have been making the cake bites for over a month now pretty regularly and am getting pretty frustrated that I can't get them mastered. I love making the pops. However, when doing the bites, the spoon pulls off the chocolate off the bottom and causes a thin layer and then the cake swells and cracks. What can I do differently. I have tried poking them with a two pronged fork and they fall off it. I tried going from spoon to spoon and it does the same thing.
Please give me your best tips that you actually use.
Thank y'all!!!

~Mindy B.

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 5

I dip them with a toothpick.

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 5

When I use a spoon, I just let it kinda "roll off the spoon" with with aid of toothpick. Then I'll use a toothpick to dap the chocolate on the ball if needed.

Just using a toothpick never has worked for me! I wished it would, it would make it soo much easier!! icon_lol.gif

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 5

I roll my cake balls the night before I dip them so they're really firm. Then, I melt my chocolate and let it cool out for a bit so it's not too hot. I take about 6 out at a time, let them breathe for a minute, then dip each one with a toothpick. I tap off the excess then transfer to my wax paper. I do the remaining 5 then I pull the toothpicks out. I always wait till the chocolate is dry. It leaves a tiny hole on the top, but I always put decorations on the top anyway! You can see the end result in my photos! HTH

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 5

Dip them on a toothpick (as already suggested), but to get them off, suspend a cooling rack covered in parchment above your work surface (you can use cans of food or something under the corners). When you are done dipping, poke the toothpick through the paper and rack and let your ball land gently on the paper. Pull toothpick out.

Having said that, it's still a pain. I only offer them on sticks nowadays!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%