Puree'd Raspberry Filling - Will It Go Bad? Please Help!

Decorating By crazybus Updated 6 May 2011 , 6:01pm by Herekittykitty

crazybus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazybus Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, so I have two cakes due on the same day. This doesn't allow me to decorate them ahead of time, and not much time to decorate them at the same time.

My husband accidentally booked and took a deposit for the same day as another order I took icon_sad.gif

So....I am pureeing raspberries and layering it with lemon curd filling. Both stacked cakes will be covered in fondant, so I was wondering....

How long can I have it filled with lemon curd, puree'd fresh raspberries and covered in fondant before it will go bad.

I am not able to refrigerate at all...and do not know if it is necessary.

Raspberries and Strawberries don't need to be refrigerated when you buy them (they grow outside in nice weather) so .....do they need to be refrigerated in the cake?

Does the lemon curd need to be refrigerated?

Please advise if possible!

Thank you

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 3

Once they are in a cake that is iced they are sealed from air getting to them but heat can still cause spoilage. It depends a lot on what your weather is. Any health dept perosn would say only 4 hours but my htinking says no more than 24 to 36 hrs UNrefrigerated. Have you used pureed berries in a cake before? I would think they would put off a lot of juice and soak into the cake making i t mushy.
Another idea to help keep the cake cool would be to take some large ziploc bags filled w/water, fz them so they are flat, and put the cake on top of them and maybe some around the cake box for an extra 8 hrs or so.
Since you don't say how big these cakes are no way to say how many ice bags would would need.
Put the cakes in cake boxes, then the box into plastic bags before using the ice method. Maybe get a box bigger than the cake box so you can surround the cake w/ice.
Do you have time to to a bit of testing? Any cake scraps around? Put some scraps together w/the puree and cover w/icing. Let stand at room temp to see how long it stays good.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 3

You will have a couple days at most. While straw/raspberries grow outside once they are picked they begin to degrade pretty quickly, that's why they are refridgerated after picking. I don't know about the curd would probably depend on if it's fresh or pre-packaged.

Ideally fresh puree should be refridgerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%