Please Advice On Preparation Timeline

Decorating By airedalian Updated 7 May 2011 , 2:58pm by airedalian

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 6

A week from Sunday I am hosting a family/friend reception. On Saturday we will be gone all day for a long-standing -- yet, whoops! forgotten about -- family outing, which throws a major wrench in my preparation plans. So I'm looking for advice (basically a timeline) of what I can do when during the next week to prep for the function.

I'm not always sure what can be frozen when and for how long and how best to thaw, etc. I have freezer space and lots of time this weekend, just need some pretty for-dummies guidelines!

We will have 6 dozen regular and 2 dozen mini cupcakes -- 4 flavors/four frostings.

About six dozen sugar cookies with glace, then piped for sugar sanding.

Three dozen cake pops with fondant decorations.

Not to mention the joy of carting all this to the party!

Thank you so much for any input!

5 replies
Lovin_Cakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovin_Cakes30 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

I bake christmas cookies (sugar cookies included) for family and friends every year and I freeze them for quite a long time! You would be fine to do those early and freeze them. I always just double freezer bag mine. I pull them out the night before. I also freeze cakes for almost a week before I need to decorate one. I have never frozen fondant....doesn't sound like a good idea to me... and I have never frozen frosting either but have heard that you can.

As far as the cookies and cupcakes go I think you are fine baking them soon and freezing them till the night before the event or whenever you want to decorate them...Just be sure to wrap them propperly! Hope that helps. I am a newbie at cakes but have been doing cookies for 10 or more years! Good luck

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure about the cookies, however, I freeze cupcakes all the time.
I just put them in a large baggie after they've cooled, being careful not to smash the top of the bag down on them. Then take them out the day before frosting and leave them in the bag on the counter to thaw. They actually turn out a lil extra moist I think.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

any & all of it can be done nowicon_smile.gif I would wait to frost the cuppies until Thurs/Fri. then they can be left out, boxed w/box put into a plastic bag.
I have fzn some things w/fondant - doesn't do too bad. You can make the pops now, fz and then put the fondant decos on Thurs or Fri. - leaving them out just like the cuppies. The decos can be made now, and fz until around Thurs or Fri before.
Soooooo it looks like you are going to have a long weekend of baking, baking, baking icon_smile.gif
Everything will be fine left out on the ocunter from Thurs on.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 6

any & all of it can be done nowicon_smile.gif I would wait to frost the cuppies until Thurs/Fri. then they can be left out, boxed w/box put into a plastic bag.
I have fzn some things w/fondant - doesn't do too bad. You can make the pops now, fz and then put the fondant decos on Thurs or Fri. - leaving them out just like the cuppies. The decos can be made now, and fz until around Thurs or Fri before.
Soooooo it looks like you are going to have a long weekend of baking, baking, baking icon_smile.gif
Everything will be fine left out on the ocunter from Thurs on.

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help!

How far in advance can I make the frostings (two buttercream, one caramel and one cream cheese)?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%