Chocolate Modeling Clay- As A Cover?

Decorating By Shelley51708 Updated 6 May 2011 , 4:54pm by jones5cm

Shelley51708 Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

It is my understanding that I can cover a cake with the choc modeling clay. Can anyone tell me how or give me a youtube link that will show me? My mom wants a choc cake w/ choc icing for Mom's Day, but I can never get the consistency right when I make chocolate BC icing. Can someone help me?! THANKS!

6 replies
metria Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 7

you don't wanna do chocolate fondant?

Shelley51708 Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 7

Ummm, I guess I could. I'm new at using fondant and didn't think about it, lol.

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 7

I used modeling clay for the pants on my nephew's Spongebob cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1650526
It was very easy to work with; I rolled it out just like fondant. I think it smoothed out better than chocolate fondant and the kids loved it b/c it tastes just like a tootsie roll!
Let me know if I can help any further!

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

jones5cm..Do you have a recipe or did you use premade?...I was thinking of using modelling chocolate for my LV bag I have to make next week...

Shelley51708 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

Wow, those pants are VERY smooth! Ok, I'll give it a shot! Thanks icon_smile.gif

jones5cm Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 7

I just use the recipe I found here on CC: right off the top of my head, it's 14 ounces of chocolate melts ( I use Wilton brand) and 1/3 cup of light Karo syrup. Melt the discs in the microwave about a minute and a half, stir until completely melted then add the karo and mix. The consistancy will seem strange (almost crumbly; but greasy); but it will come together after sitting to rest a couple of hours in an air tight ziplock bag. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%