Anything Strong Than Gumpaste Or Modelling Paste Please?

Decorating By PatFoskett Updated 7 May 2011 , 6:35am by PatFoskett

PatFoskett Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning to make a bird cage with sugar paste. It's going to be a hollow cage so the whole cage, (bars) must be strong. Therefore does anyone have any other strong paste, which is stronger than gumpaste/modelling paste please?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 5

Yes--mexican paste & pastillage, in that order.

From Globalsugarart.com :
Mexican paste recipe
8 ounces (2 cups) 10x powdered sugar
3 teaspoons Gum Tragacanth -Buy Here
6 teaspoons cold water (plus or minus a teaspoon depending on your sugar)

Blend together 10x sugar and gum tragacanth in a bowl. Add water and mix with a heavy spoon until most of the sugar is absorbed. Pour onto a clean work surface and knead, picking up the extra bits of moist sugar as you knead, until the dough is smooth and pliable. Place in a sealed plastic bag and place that bag into another sealed bag. Leave overnight on the counter to cure. DO NOT REFRIGERATE! The paste will be very hard the next day. Break off a small piece and knead until soft before using.

You can keep Mexican Paste for up to 10 days as long as you knead it every 2-3 days. If you want to keep it longer, it freezes very well. Do not refrigerate Mexican paste.

You can find a pastillage recipe here:
http://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/SHPR

HTH
Rae

PatFoskett Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:40am
post #3 of 5

Thanks very much! I will have a go! Wish me luck!

Coral3 Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:18am
post #4 of 5

I second mexican paste. It dries strong, but brittle, so I usually mix just a little fondant into it which makes it a lot less brittle while still retaining strength.

PatFoskett Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:35am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! Now I wonder what's the difference between mexican paste and gumpaste! Book time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%