Even Cakes Tiers

Decorating By lyonsbr Updated 8 May 2011 , 4:19am by cakegirl1973

lyonsbr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyonsbr Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

How do I get my tiers nice and even? I have a few wedding cakes this summer and want to get it right.

9 replies
soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 10

you want to pick up a good cake leveler, the ones with a blades are much better then the ones with the wires. my cake leveler is called the ultimate cake leveler and it is made by wilton (it is a little on the pricey side, but every thing for cake decorating is), it folds in half for easy storage, and it has adjustable feet to insure when cutting the cake it is level. or if you have a good eye you can use a beard knife to cut the humps or the low spots off. hope this helps

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 10

The best cake leveler on the market is the Agbay but it is not cheapicon_smile.gif It is worth every penny but still not cheap.
www.agbayproducts.com

I love mine and use it all the time. There is a new Fat Daddio's cake lever
http://www.cakesupplies4u.com/Products/Fat-Daddios-Professional-Cake-Leveler-20-Wide-x-7-High__CL-DLX.aspx

I have never used it but it's cheaper than the Agbay. I would read some reviews on CC before ordering just to make sure.

Most people struggle with the Wilton leveler and it has gotten may bad reviews but I'm glad it works for Soapy-Hopie.

If you are just leveling the top make sure you put enough batter that the cake rises above the top of the pan. After the cake has cooled a bit, take a long serrated knife (longer than the length of the pan) place the knife flush with the edge of the pan and use the pan as the guide to level the cake. This works great. If you then want to cut that one layer in 1/2, take the cake out of the pan to cool. After it has cooled, place slightly smaller cake boards back into the original pan to 1/2 the height of the pan, put the cake back in the pan. The cake should be sticking about 1/2 out of the pan. Then lay your knife flush with the edge of the pan again and cut it in 1/2. This works for a lot of people but the Agbay is worth not having to struggle with this. If you need to save up for it. Every time you are going to buy something you don't really need (fancy coffee, cute shirt...toss the money in your Agbay jar instead) it will take you no time to save up.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

The best cake leveler on the market is the Agbay but it is not cheapicon_smile.gif It is worth every penny but still not cheap.
www.agbayproducts.com

OMG I saw a demo for the Agbay at the CT Cake Show and it was honestly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I don't need one but I want one so badly! For a professional baker, I think this would be a must have.

sillywabbitz Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

I'm a hobbyist and I think it's the best cake tool I own. It just makes my life so much easier and makes SPS even easier to work with. It's fab!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 10

Funny thing with Agbays - BEFORE you get one you think they are expensive and indulgent... I mean it ONLY cuts a cake into layers... right??
A knife CAN do that... and you're pretty handy with a knife ... mmm???

THEN - you get one ..... and you are like

WHY did I wait so long ? Truly it saves me so much time - it paid for itself in probably 3 cakes!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

Funny thing with Agbays - BEFORE you get one you think they are expensive and indulgent... I mean it ONLY cuts a cake into layers... right??
A knife CAN do that... and you're pretty handy with a knife ... mmm???

THEN - you get one ..... and you are like

WHY did I wait so long ? Truly it saves me so much time - it paid for itself in probably 3 cakes!

Abso-freakin'-lutely! I love love love my agbay and I use it on every cake.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #8 of 10

[quote="sillywabbitz" There is a new Fat Daddio's cake lever/quote]

I hate mine. The blades are a PITA to adjust and because of my attempts to adjust them, I have had many uneven cuts to my torted cakes. IMO, save up for an Agbay. I am!

sillywabbitz Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #9 of 10

Cakegirl1973, thank you so much for the feedback on the Fat Daddio's leveler. I hadn't seen any reviews yet.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:19am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Cakegirl1973, thank you so much for the feedback on the Fat Daddio's leveler. I hadn't seen any reviews yet.

Before I bought it, I posted on CC to try to get some feedback, and I got zero responses. I decided to give it a try, and now I am back to using my crappy Wilton leveler. Definitely save your $50 and skip the Fat Daddios leveler!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%