Recipe Adjustments ?

Baking By nikki1273 Updated 7 May 2011 , 4:24pm by LindaF144a

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying a new cupcake recipe today which calls for 3 TBSP of hazelnut liquor. I do not care for the flavor of that so I would like to try vanilla carmel coffemate (liquid) instead. Since the cofeemate has cream in it I am just wondering if this will affect the cake in any way. Maybe I should adjust the amount of milk or butter? Any suggestions based on your experiences would be appreciated. TIA

3 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:57am
post #2 of 4

3 TBSP hazelnut liquor - you can use any type of nut liqueur - almond, walnut etc. If you don't want the alcohol, you can use 2 teaspoons flavoured extract plus 7 teaspoons water [exact fluid replacement]

Since the coffeemate has cream - Coffee creamer is actually partially hydrogentated oil and water - no milk and no cream. You can straight substitute creamer for the alcohol. The creamer flavour may not stand out enough to be noticed in the cakes

Maybe I should adjust the amount of milk or butter? You are substituting liquid for liquid: it has nothing to do with th other ingredients [butter and milk]

nikki1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1273 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 4

Auzzi.....thanks for your response. Very helpful! icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 4

I would not substitute creamer for liquor. However in CakeLove, if you do not add the liquor he has in his recipe, he tells you to add that much of the milk into the batter as a substitute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%