Edible Images Problem

Decorating By elody21 Updated 8 May 2011 , 10:27pm by icingimages

elody21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elody21 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 23

I have a Cannon Bubble jet 5100. I bought this many years ago to do edible images. the problem I had was even with the cleaning cartridges after each use the printer head would clog and every time I needed to do another cake with edible images I would have to buy another printer head! This was quite a loss as far as edible image cakes go and I gave up on them.
Well it is maybe 10 years later and I have kept my Cannon 5100. I want to do a very detailed cake for my son's college graduation and I would like to use edible images again. Sooooo I need a new printer head again, and the cartridges.
Is the ink any better than it used to be? Can I still get the printer head? any ideas? I still have the sheets that have been in a vaccume sealed bag and are still pliable. Thanks
Alice icon_confused.gif

22 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 23

Contact Deb at icingimages and she can help you out. She's very knowledgable about the canons and their ink is the best. http://www.icingimages.com/info.php?link=co&menu=m

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 23

Did you do the print head cleaning through the actual canon menu or a manual cleaning yourself?

IF you do the cleaning through the canon menu is forcing addtional ink through the print head to basically push out a clog.

IF you haven't used the printer in over 6 months that might not even work.
You might need to just buy a new print head... or a new printer since they are so cheap now!

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 23

You may be able to clean it with very hot water or steam but talk to Deb first.

Jess0214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess0214 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 23

I have found that printheads are very difficult to find at this time, due to the fact that they are made in Japan and the plant is not yet functioning due to the disaster. So other options to a printhead problem is to tyr cleaning using Hot tap water, not steam, steam on plastic is never good. Soaking in Hot tap water overnight and flushing again. ot try the new cleaning item photofrost has the powerflush, I watched there video on YouTube and found it to be helpful (search in YouTube photofrost01) or as a last resort purchasing a new printer.

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 23

Actually a steamer works very well. That's what icingimages uses to clean them. I also use a steamer on mine and have had no problems. If you haven't tried it don't knock it.

elody21 Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 23

Thanks for the replies.
When I cleaned the print head (after every use) I used the cleaning cartridges containing the cleaning solution, through the computer. That was always a bust so I tried to manually clean them too. For 3 cakes I had to buy a new printer head EACH time!
Very costly!
The cartridges etc... were all from edible images. Ten years ago there was not much of a choice of brands
A steam cleaner sounds like a great idea! Those were not around back then.
Unless I can find another print head I am out of luck. It looks like the one that got put away with the printer was the one I had before, containing regular ink.
Anyone know where to get the print heads?
I will try to call the number given and see if she has any ideas.
I am making a monopoly board and wanted to do each square with a picture of my son growing up. I might just have to had paint 42 squares!
Thanks, Alice

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 23

Was this printer used for regular ink?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 23

Hi
Your printer is really old! Some of the problems you are experiencing are probably due to the printhead, but you could have dried out sponges as well. If you call our office, we can give you that information. You can get that printhead off of ebay for about $25 bucks, but you need to first decide what your intentions are for this printhead. If you plan to keep printing, then you may need a new printhead, but you are most defenately going to need new cartridges. If you plan to print here and there, if it were me, I would have someone else print. You should create the design and then and then submit it for printing. We print and others print as well so you have many options.

If you plan to revive your printhead, I would be weary of the power flush units. We have had customers who have used those type of devices and have ruined the bottom of the printhead. We have had great success with ZERO damages on using the steamer and have never had reports of problems with using the steamers. If you do not have a steamer, you can try soaking your printhead in warm water for about 20 minutes, rinse it well in hot water until it runs clear of ink and then dry it very well and retest. But keep in mind that your cartridges may be dried out after 6 months and the sponges in your printer are dried out. If you want to find out how to dampen the sponges, shoot me an email or pm me and I will be glad to send them to you those instructions.

elody21 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 23

Actually no. My son had a cannon that took the same size ink and printer head and he got rid of it and for some reason my husband set the regular ink set etc... on the top of this printer when we stored it. I had already tossed out the edible ink one because I couldn't get it un clogged and wasn't planning on making images anymore.It was bought for and only used for edible images.I do remember that for sure, because I got the larger printer to take the 1/2 sheet cake sheets.
He probably thought that if some day I wanted to use it for regular, then I would have the printer head.
Alice

elody21 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 23

To Icing images. Thanks for the reply. All the problems were when the printer was bran new. I got 3 perfect images from it but each one needed a new printer head! After one print the head clogged. I have not used it probably in 10 years. My husband wasn't happy when I said I wanted it connected again. He said it would take a lot of time to get this one to work with our current computers And he does this for a living!
I only wanted to use it for my sons graduation but if it worked ok maybe I would use it again.
The printer head I have is actually from my sons old printer. I tossed the one with edible ink because of reasons already said I tossed everything except the sheets and the computer.
I think the steam cleaner sounds like the perfect idea but I wonder if it is worth all this trouble for maybe one project. The steam cleaners were not around for the public 10 years ago.
I am not sure what to do. It seems like a lot of cost to get it up and running again. I might have to start hand painting 42 panels!
Thanks Alice

icingimages Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 23

I know! this printer is very old. I loved that printer way back when.... How big are the 42 panels?

elody21 Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 23

The cake is going to be the exact size of a monopoly board so I would have to measure the spaces on the board. I also wanted to make monopoly money with a funny picture of my son on them. I haven't completely figured the cake out yet. A lot depended on if I could get the printer up and printing again. I think if I had a steamer back then I would not have had these problems.
Yes this is an old printer that has only been used 3 or 4 times! So it is a fairly new old printer! At the time it was the only one that could use the large sheets, so it got put up on a shelf. Are the 1/2 sheet cake sheets even made anymore?
Do you guys have the printer heads? Does anyone?
Alice

tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 23

Deb said you could get the print head off of ebay.

icingimages Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #15 of 23

She called me and we spoke about everything. Now she just has to make up her mind!

Jess0214 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:30am
post #16 of 23

I have found that the powerflush is the only cleaner that will tell you instantly that the printhead is clean from the fan spray it show when the water jets throught the printhead. the powerflush is set up with a handle that will only allow a certain amount of pressure to go through the hose. I am sure that some have found ways to add more water pressure to cause damage but with the experience I have had steamers and plastic are not compatible and more damage can be done with a steamer.

icingimages Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #17 of 23

I can only tell you that we have had several customers who have used that product and damaged the printhead. I have been using steamers for some time and never have I damaged a printhead nor had a customer complain that they have.

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:09pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess0214

I have found that the powerflush is the only cleaner that will tell you instantly that the printhead is clean from the fan spray it show when the water jets throught the printhead. the powerflush is set up with a handle that will only allow a certain amount of pressure to go through the hose. I am sure that some have found ways to add more water pressure to cause damage but with the experience I have had steamers and plastic are not compatible and more damage can be done with a steamer.

What company do you work for that test these cleaners?

Jess0214 Posted 8 May 2011 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 23

I do not work for a company that uses these products. I am an end user who has tried many cleaning methods ie cleaner cartridges, steamers and the powerflush. In my opinion after using all of these methods I have found the powerflush to be the most reliable and effective.

tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks, but I'll stick with the advice from icingimages.

icingimages Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 23

Thank you Tiggy, I know that you have used edible printing products for a long time and that you have extremely high expectations. Your opinion is highly regarded and since it is based upon experience with my products as well as others, it means a lot. I am really glad I can help find solutions and help those who have had troubles with other products, help people find new ways of using the product and help new decorators find successes.

tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:23pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Thank you Tiggy, I know that you have used edible printing products for a long time and that you have extremely high expectations. Your opinion is highly regarded and since it is based upon experience with my products as well as others, it means a lot. I am really glad I can help find solutions and help those who have had troubles with other products, help people find new ways of using the product and help new decorators find successes.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Since using your gold label inks I wont use anyone elses. I just recently purchased your frosting sheets and couldn't believe the difference compared to the brand I was using. I'm a happy camper icon_biggrin.gif

icingimages Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:27pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks Tiggy! Just wait till you see what's next!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%