How To Make The Colors Pop?

Decorating By lorimichaelis Updated 6 May 2011 , 2:30pm by soapy_hopie

lorimichaelis Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:43am
post #1 of 4

I am making many gumpaste four leaf clovers for a wedding cake next next. I want the green of the clovers to vary which is not a problem but they are coming out a little dull. I am dusting them and painting on the details but how can I make the overall color "pop"? Thanks for any help and suggestions!

3 replies
lilmissbakesalot Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 4

Steam them. It seals them and gives a slight sheen. They will be tacky fir a bit, but they dry nice and smooth. Might be hard to do though if they are small and un-wired. You can also paint them with an edible lacquer.

lorimichaelis Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 4

I'll try the steam method...Thanks so much!

soapy_hopie Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 4

you can also use luster dust, and it will give them a shinny appearance, you can also try rubbing your fondant with shortening (which will make you fondant more shinny), you can also spray it with pam (it will make it shinny)

if you would like them really really shinny then you make a high gloss glaze
4 tsp vodka
1 tsp gelatin
when you use it dob it on with a small brush (the gelatin will set quickly and will go gooey if you brush it) you can store it in the fridge and just microwave to melt to use it later

or you could make an edible varnish (make 1/8 cup)
1 tsp gelatin
3sp water
1 tap liquid glucose of white corn syrup

put gelatin into the water let stand until it becomes spongy, zap in microwave until gelatin dissolves, add glucose or corn syrup combine well (you need to paint the varnish on while it is hot) it reheat after it has been in the fridge place in a bowl of hot water (not boiling) keep in a airtight container in the the fridge. all the item to dry completely before recoating

i hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%