How Do You Charge For A Race Car For 15 People???

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 6 May 2011 , 11:53pm by AnotherCaker

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #1 of 10

i am assuming i need to try to figure out the time involved instead of a per slice price, but even that is tricky for me. please let me know what ya'll do because i am afraid i wont charge enough and will kick myself in the arse when it's all said and done (like i usually do!)

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 10

I charge $5.00 a serving for my 3D cakes..That is base price.I may upcharge depending on the extra embellishments and time involved.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 10

With 3D cakes, I think it is LESS about the number of servings and MORE about the amount of work.

I think you need to have a minimum charge for 3D's - AND let's be real here - a race car to feed 15 people????? Sometimes a car NEEDS to be a certain size to look right! If it feeds 30 people then .... TOO bad! thats what they pay for the look they want.

No way would I do a 3D cake for $75 - but I guess it does come back to .... how much detail? what sort of cake? YOUR costs and the quality of the final product

cakelady11215 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 10

thanks for the thoughts. i was thinking at least $120 but geez...$10/slice? i wouldn't pay that! lol... but i know how much time is involved and it is very detailed. i always under price but i just dont know if this is over the top...

cakelady11215 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:52am
post #5 of 10

oops...meant $150...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:02am
post #6 of 10

I always told people who asked about carved cakes:

"Those START at $150 and that's before I even pick up a pencil to find out what you want." icon_cool.gif

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 10

See this is what scares me about making my hobby into more of a business venture. All my cakes for friends and family have sparked interest and I have been asked a couple of times if I would mind doing a cake for someone else in the future. I have been saying yes but I don't know where I would even begin to price them. I made a lightning mcqueen car but it would prob only feed around 8 people, so I made a big bottom part. The bottom cake took me about an hour and fed about 40, but the actual car took me all day (i was slow) but would cost a heck of a lot less if I charged per serving.

I agree with 3d cakes you can't really be too specific about portion sizes. I made one this weekend which was and xbox for twins and their friends (about 10) but for the cake to look right it was big enough for at least 25-30!

I know this answer isn't any help but I'd like to see if anyone says anything else icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 10

3D cakes are about the time and materials needed not the servings

cakelady11215 Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:48pm
post #9 of 10

ok, so i emailed her and gave a price of $150 and she said "that looks good". woo hoo! finally getting paid for my time! LOL... and she even had me mark my calendar for their anniversary in october. things are lookin' good icon_smile.gif Thanks y'all!! icon_smile.gif

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 10

Was that so hard? Now you will actually enjoy what you did, and not come on here in tears afterwards after giving away your handcrafted art.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%