Suggestions On How To Do This Technique?

Decorating By Cindy619 Updated 7 May 2011 , 10:53pm by Cindy619

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hey folks! A bride sent me this picture. She really likes the idea of it, but I'm confused at how to achieve the "flowers" that are on the sides of the cake.

I was thinking of making them out of royal icing on wax paper using the flooding technique then applying them to the cake after they have dried.
But I noticed that the flowers/stems actually wrap around the sides of the cake so my idea wouldn't work so well.

Then I thought about piping it directly onto the cake, but how would you get it to look so smooth.

Anyone have suggestions on how to achieve this look? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

In case my attachment doesn't appear, you can click here and it should take you to a copy of the pic.
http://monkeytreatsbakery.com/wp-content/uploads/yelllowcake.jpg
(It's not one of my cakes...I just threw it up on my site where no one else can see it but you icon_smile.gif )

5 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

Perhaps a stencil for all of the white and then just go back and outline with black free hand.....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 6

I think the flowers/leaves are all cut from very thin rolled fondant or gumpaste - dried before applying.
What you think is wrapping around the tiers I think is really an optical illusion (IMHO). On the front tier it *just* overlaps the edge and on the side it butts up against the overlap. This is very slight to give the illusion of wrapping around.
And you could do it in colorflo as you thought icon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 6

Could you use rice paper?

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 6

Could you use rice paper?

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

What you think is wrapping around the tiers I think is really an optical illusion (IMHO). On the front tier it *just* overlaps the edge and on the side it butts up against the overlap. This is very slight to give the illusion of wrapping around.
And you could do it in colorflo as you thought icon_smile.gif

Oh, you totally might be on to something there! I just blew up the original, and I think you are right - its probably a complete optical illusion! Well that sure makes my life easier icon_wink.gif Whether I go with royal/color flow or fondant, I'll just use the same effect of making it look as though it is wrapped around. Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%