Greasy Cupcake Liners

Baking By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 7 May 2011 , 2:58am by Periperi

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

I've read on here that if you're baking a dark colored cupcake (chocolate or red velvet) you should double up on the liners so the color won't affect the liners. Same if you're using pretty liners and don't want to mess up the design.

Well, I had red velvet cupcakes to make this week. And I found some blue polka dot liners to put them in. The party color was blue, so it was perfect. I doubled up on the liners but the grease still soaked through and the liners pulled away from each other. I asked my boss about it and she said that was pretty typical of red velvet, so I think I'll just go with greaseproof liners next time. But how do I keep the liners from pulling away from each other?

5 replies
TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure but I think if you use grease-proof liners you only need to use one. I haven't used them yet but have some ordered.

loveicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveicing Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:09am
post #3 of 6

I have had problems with greasy liners before too. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. It can't be my pans because I've used the same ones for years. I wonder if it often has to do with the paper weight of the liner. I recently used Wilton liners (light pink with white polka dots) that had the greasiest bottoms ever, but then have used many other Wilton liners that didn't do that. I do know some of the best liners I have used are the ones that are more durable and stout--thicker. They bake well and hold up well. I have used the Reynolds black foil liners and they look great and bake well. It's puzzling. I wish they made them all thick enough that you can maintain the appearance of the liner design without the cupcake often ruining that design at the bottom because it shows through.

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:36am
post #4 of 6

I like to bake my cupcakes in basic paper liners and then after they've cooled I put a brand new colorful liner over the greasy one. They look perfect. I think I read that tip from Martha Stewart years ago. It's been a lifesaver.¢¾

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periperi

I like to bake my cupcakes in basic paper liners and then after they've cooled I put a brand new colorful liner over the greasy one. They look perfect. I think I read that tip from Martha Stewart years ago. It's been a lifesaver.¢¾

That's what i was trying to do. Just bake in a plain liner and then sit them into the pretty ones. I tried it a few weeks ago but the baked cupcakes didn't fit in the liners, the outside ones flared out. So this time, I just did the plain in the pretty ones and baked them like that, but they still flared out. I think I'm just going to go with greaseproof so that I wouldn't have to double them up. But sometimes you find a really pretty liner that isn't available in a greaseproof variety, ya know? Plus, if the liner says it's greaseproof, does that also mean the color of the batter won't show through, like if I'm baking red velvet or chocolate cupcakes?

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I've tried grease proof once w/ chocolate cupcakes and the liners looked awful. =( I had to double them up. Mine flare out a bit too, but I make sure I ice them in such a way that it isn't noticable. Best of luck to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%