Washington State Cottage Food Law

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 19 Nov 2011 , 6:04am by Bridgette1129

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:13pm
post #31 of 38

For what it is worth:
this morning I received an e-mail from the King Co. health dept., answering a question I had about the new law. Aside from answering my question notice what else I was told:

"Regarding the Cottage Food Bill, you are correct that this will be regulated by the Washington State Department of Agriculture; however, it will be some time (perhaps early 2012 from what I hear) before one can actually obtain a permit as WSDA needs to create new rules to go along with this law. You can contact WSDA at (360) 902-1876 or www.agr.wa.gov ."

Just wanted to put this out there, as I figured on the inspections starting and permits being issued by early autumn, this seems to push that back several months. If those of us starting a business under this law can't begin until 2012, should we wait on those start-up costs (insurance, etc.) until 2010 so that we can claim them for the 2012 tax year? Hope that question made sense.
Also, I noticed in the "new section" of the law, it is very specific about illegal baking - a misdemeanor for the first offence and a LARGE fine - $1000 a day for each violation.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:15pm
post #32 of 38

spuddsymom...

I will be dierctly involved with the Rule making, this process should begin in a few weeks. I have been told we should see inspections begin in September, however this is subject to change. Please visit the facebook page I have created for all the latest information!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:21pm
post #33 of 38

FH_Cakes. thank you for the facebook page. I read it earlier and was just concerned the HD made it sound like inspections would be even later, but I am just overly anxious to get started! Thank you again.

MrsBowtiy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsBowtiy Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:02am
post #34 of 38

FH_Cakes Thank you a million times over for your dedication to this law. I do have a question how will zoning work Will our house need to be within certain zoning? My husband and I are currently looking to buy a home so this is something that will need to be considered. I don't know a whole lot about business laws and such. It's time to start doing my homework on that front. Thank you for any info.

FH_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:38pm
post #35 of 38

MrsBowity...

Thank you! Zoning is different for all of Washington. You will need to contact the City/County you are in or considering to purchase your home in to verify their rules. For instance..I live in unincorporated Clark County, my zoning laws allow me to have a home based business with restrictions on how much sq ft the business takes up, storage of the business and customers coming to my home. In order to avoid paying another fee, I have opted to take the exemption for this year and do delivery only. If I decide to let customers come to my home I will be required to pay a fee of $145 (this allows 6 customers per day). Good Luck!

JenniF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniF Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 7:24pm
post #36 of 38

How would this effect a cupcake business? Will there be some kind of exception to the frosting rule as most recipes for cupcakes call for cream cheese, buttercream or meringue?

FH_Cakes Posted 17 Nov 2011 , 8:32pm
post #37 of 38

JenniF...

Cupcakes or cake..it is no different, as long as the frosting in non-pershiable (meaning it does not require refridgeration)

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 19 Nov 2011 , 6:04am
post #38 of 38

Thanks for all your hard work!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%