Ok, Lessons Learned Today. Long Vent Sorry.

Decorating By KellyJo3 Updated 16 May 2011 , 10:32am by KellyJo3

KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 21

So a lady called me on Tuesday of this week for a cake she wanted for her husband's 35th birthday on Friday. Even though it was such a short notice, I decided to do it because this week was slow. -First lesson learned.-First she wanted a top hat with 35 somewhere on it. I drew her a few sketches that night and she liked them, but still was not sure and said she'd get back to me the next morning, like I had all the time in the world or something. Well she called me the next afternoon with a whole new plan and sent me a pic she kind of wanted me to copy, but with her own ideas. -second lesson learned-I only charged her 50.00 too! I must have been in weird mood or something! -third lesson learned-After I quoted the cake to her she asked me if she could call me back because she had ordered some cupcakes from someone else and she wanted to see if she could cancel them before she finalized her order with me. -4th lesson learned- I should have told her no, as that was probably another poor baker like me, but I did them a favor trust me. They should be happy they didn't have to deal with her! So today, I made the cake exactly how she implied to me and thought it looked horrible with her design, not that customer's don't have good input I just think some picture something in their heads and when it comes out it's not as they thought it would go together. (I'll post a pic). So I sent her a pic and asked her if I could add some stars to it, as I thought it would look way better. I sent her a pic of what it looked like with and without the stars. -5th lesson learned-She agreed and so I added them. As I am adding them, She calls me and says she is not satisfied with the cake at all. Even though it was her design! So guess what, I gave her a full refund and me and my family are going to hog down on some cake tonight! I don't have to get up early to deliver it and I learned a lot of lessons from this order. Sorry I had to vent : )

20 replies
KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 21

I couldn't attach the pic, so I will upload to my pics. It's the "35" one. Remember she just wanted the gold sprinkles and the bow. I added the stars. She picked all the colors too in case you were wondering.

nickshalfpint Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 21

That sucks! She designed the thing and then she said she didn't like it? I'd be pissed after all of that work! Sorry you had to deal with such a turd (=

sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 21

People are so weird. You were very kind to refund her money. I would not have been that nice. There is nothing wrong with the cake. It's a simple design and the bow tying the two numbers is 'different' but hey to each his own.

KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

That sucks! She designed the thing and then she said she didn't like it? I'd be pissed after all of that work! Sorry you had to deal with such a turd (=

LOL! I love that you used the word turd. Thanks for the laugh, as I needed it today!! icon_biggrin.gif

KakeMistress Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 21

there is no way in hell in I would of given her money back. first of all its a last min order and you cant just cancel after the cake is already made, I would of said I appologize your not satisfied with the cake but the cake is made you can either come pick it up or its going in the garbage. You still need to get paid.

KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

People are so weird. You were very kind to refund her money. I would not have been that nice. There is nothing wrong with the cake. It's a simple design and the bow tying the two numbers is 'different' but hey to each his own.

Thank you very much. It's actually the exact bow she sent me to replicate. I normally wouldn't have done one like that, but she wanted it. and yes people can be so weird lol!

KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakeMistress

there is no way in hell in I would of given her money back. first of all its a last min order and you cant just cancel after the cake is already made, I would of said I appologize your not satisfied with the cake but the cake is made you can either come pick it up or its going in the garbage. You still need to get paid.

I totally agree, but I just wanted to be done with her to be honest. I can say that won't happen again. I will at least get something next time.

Karen421 Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 21

I think the cake look fine. It is very clean and neat, and you were very nice to tell her she can cancel! icon_smile.gif

jenmat Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 21

Last minute cakes are almost ALWAYS a mistake. If you were to rewind, I'm sure you would have done it differently, but always remember that IF you take a last minute order there should be some rules:
1. YOU get to have final say in design and flavors (not that you pick them out, just that you have veto power.)
2. Payment in FULL ahead, and NO refunds unless cake is inedible or tips over or something.
3. NEVER underquote a last minute cake. It should be worth your time.

The cake looked fine, if a little plain (but NOT your fault, hence why you should get final say in design). This lady was a nut.

johnson6ofus Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 21

I would NOT have given her a dime back... sorry..... clean work on your part! Sorry you were "fastened, tightened, forced, pressed, and stretched tight by helical threads."

Rita

PS. That definition is of scr***d. icon_biggrin.gif
PSS. I agree--- customer was turd

KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks everyone! Ya'll are great! I really appreciate all the kind words, ya'll have cheered me up. I think we may have a food fight with the cake tonight, I think that would help me take out some aggression lol, after we eat some of course!

indydebi Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:19am
post #13 of 21

glad to see you have an outlet for your aggression! icon_lol.gif

For future reference, I would suggest that people who call on Tuesday for a friday cake dont get the luxury of a sketch for their approval. Calls I received like that were a verbal order on the phone .... period.

"Ok, you want a cake shaped like a top hat, to serve XX, with teh number 35 on it. white cake with white bc filling. You will pick up on Friday at 3:00. your cost is $xx. Will that be Visa or MC? I'm ready to take the number when you are."

And that's it. The only thing I do after running their credit card is send them an email that pretty much repeats the above paragraph, just so I have it in writing. "This is to confirm our conversation that your cake will be ......"

KellyJo3 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:24pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks you very much for the advice, I will be handling last minute orders totally different now for sure. : )

KodiSnip Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:32pm
post #15 of 21

Your cake is awesome! Wish I could fondant so smoothly - what a crazy woman

KellyJo3 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiSnip

Your cake is awesome! Wish I could fondant so smoothly - what a crazy woman

Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif

ltlepaw Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:06pm
post #17 of 21

I think your cake looks great, other than the weird bow which was obviously not you. Either way, it's a well made bow. My guess is she didn't cancel the cupcakes and kept those as a fall back plan.

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2011 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 21

I agree with Debi and the only other thing is, don't send a photo of the cake to a customer before pickup! That only invites critiques and doubt, especially if the photo doesn't do justice to the cake.

I think the cake looked cute...she should have just picked it up and gone on her way.

Be sure to exude confidence, even if you feel unsure...people will pick up on any hesitation you have in your manner about your work, and they will take advantage of that. If you are a professional, then act like one to the customer and be confident and they will not be so likely to pull this junk on you.... which means also charge what you are worth, be firm about your rules, and don't let them yank you around.

Cute cake! Keep your chin up!

BakerAnn Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 21

How kind of you to allow this woman a refund. I'm with the group that says "she wouldn't have received one from me." There's only one thing not to like in our business and that's self-centered people like her.

KellyJo3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:30am
post #20 of 21

[quote="Kitagrl"]I agree with Debi and the only other thing is, don't send a photo of the cake to a customer before pickup! That only invites critiques and doubt, especially if the photo doesn't do justice to the cake.

As I was sending it, I was thinking I probably shouldn't do this lol. She was one of those customers that was easy to read and I knew right away this was not going to work.
Thank you for the great advice!

KellyJo3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:32am
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlepaw

I think your cake looks great, other than the weird bow which was obviously not you. Either way, it's a well made bow. My guess is she didn't cancel the cupcakes and kept those as a fall back plan.

I bet your right!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%