How To Attach Wilton Topper To Fondant Cake?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 7 May 2011 , 7:22am by Chellescakes

cherrycakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a 25th anniversary cake and have to put the original topper on it. The base is close to 5" in diameter (it's going on a 6" cake) and the base is smooth plastic. The cake itself is very simple with a fondant pearl boarder around each tier. I'm wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for how I could secure the topper and incorporate it so it doesn't look like it's just placed on as an after-thought? Thanks!

3 replies
sccandwbfan Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

I would definately put it on a seperator plate or at least a cardboard circle.

Maybe you could pipe sometheing around the base? I'm not sure. How about a fondant rope or band?

I would wait to see what the more experienced say... I'm more of a newbie. icon_smile.gif

Christy

cherrycakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your suggestions! Right now I'm thinking that I'll pipe buttercream around the base and cover that with fondant pearls. I'm not sure if that will look right - does anyone else have other ideas?

Chellescakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:22am
post #4 of 4

If it is a fondant cake , I would use royal icing not buttercream as the buttercream will melt the fondant.
I would attach the topper to a small fondant plaque with a little melted down fondant.

I make the plaques out of fondant with tylose added and let it dry at least overnight. I would then just pipe a nice edge in the royal to attach it to the cake and the plaque.

Pearls would be nice too but use royal not buttercream to secure them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%