Refrigeration Question

Decorating By audrey0522 Updated 5 May 2011 , 9:03pm by audrey0522

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Do I need to refrigerate a cake, (finished today, will be served on Sunday)
that has whole milk and butter in the icing? No fondant. Thank you.

6 replies
Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 7

I never refrigerate any of my cakes. Based on what I have read from others on this site, I thought that putting them in the fridge increases the chance of the cakes being drier. Therefore, I freeze my cakes. On the morning that I will be working on the cakes, I take them out of the freezer to fully defrost. When I get home from work (I have a day job), the cake is ready to be decorated.

I do this for every cake, and (knock on wood), every client has raved about how moist the cake was!

audrey0522 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your quick reply. That is pretty much what I do also. I am taking this cake to GA. and so I had to finish it today as we are leaving as soon as I get off work tomorrow. (about a 4 1/2 hour drive) I have never used icing with butter and milk before so I am unsure if it needed to be refrigerated. I don't want it to go bad before Sunday.

Tinabarena Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 7

No problem! My frosting has the white margrine in it and I still don't refridgerate the cake. Again, from my understanding based on what I've read on this site, the powdered sugar acts almost like a preservative. Do you use a lot of PS? My recipe calls for at least 6-8 cups.

I would imagine it would still be safe even if it had milk in it...but there are a ton more people on here that are far more experienced than I am...I have never had to do a cake with 2 days inbetween the making and serving.

Good luck...driving that long with a cake would rattle my nerves! icon_eek.gif

audrey0522 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 7

I take almost every cake I make to Ga. That is where my grandkids live! I have taken a 3 tiered cake with no problem. I have always used the shortening buttercream. This time I made a snickerdoodle cake with cinnamon buttercream. It has 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar for each 1/2 butter and 4 Tb. milk. It is already warm here (So. Carolina)

Tinabarena Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

I honestly think it will be just fine. There isn't a ton of butter and milk in comparison to the PS.

Have fun with the grandkids!

audrey0522 Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%