Last Minute Birthday Cake Order - Ideas Please!!!

Decorating By brensmom12 Updated 6 May 2011 , 8:09am by leeyn

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 4

A co-worker approached me today to do a cake for his daughter's 18th birthday party - TOMORROW icon_eek.gif. They just want a "simple" cake for about 30 people. I recommended an 1/4 sheet - too big so we are going to go with a 10" round. Now for what do you want on the cake??? "Something simple like Happy Birthday *** and if you could just put some flowers on there, but not a lot because she's not a girly girl and she likes soccer and outdoors stuff." OK..wait I have an idea since she likes soccer we could do a 8" round and a 1/2 soccer ball. "No, she doesn't like themes."

So, fellow CCers - any ideas? If not I guess I will just go with the Wilton graduation cake from a few years ago - the one with the 3 or 4 BC roses(even though I'm not a big fan of it) - only because it is simple. I know it is what the customer wants but unfortunately they aren't really giving me a lot of options with the "simple" cake order.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 4

Last-minute cakes can't be expected to be high-concept works of art. I'd do what she asked - put a few buttercream roses and Happy Birthday on it in the neatest and most beautiful style you can muster on less than 24 hours notice.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 4

Why not just look in the gallery at the tons of birthday cakes here to get an idea. Or, when in doubt polka dots are girly without being girly, Make a bow out of gum paste (it dries really fast). She's 18. Something in an animal print like zebra or leopard. And, like I said, there's a lot more ideas in this gallery than just about anywhere. Also,, I like to go to Google images and look there to.

leeyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeyn Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:09am
post #4 of 4

I will just go with the Wilton graduation cake from a few years ago - the one with the 3 or 4 BC roses(even though I'm not a big fan of it) - only because it is simple.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%