Last Minute Birthday Cake Order - Ideas Please!!!

Decorating By brensmom12 Updated 6 May 2011 , 8:09am by leeyn

brensmom12 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 4

A co-worker approached me today to do a cake for his daughter's 18th birthday party - TOMORROW icon_eek.gif. They just want a "simple" cake for about 30 people. I recommended an 1/4 sheet - too big so we are going to go with a 10" round. Now for what do you want on the cake??? "Something simple like Happy Birthday *** and if you could just put some flowers on there, but not a lot because she's not a girly girl and she likes soccer and outdoors stuff." OK..wait I have an idea since she likes soccer we could do a 8" round and a 1/2 soccer ball. "No, she doesn't like themes."

So, fellow CCers - any ideas? If not I guess I will just go with the Wilton graduation cake from a few years ago - the one with the 3 or 4 BC roses(even though I'm not a big fan of it) - only because it is simple. I know it is what the customer wants but unfortunately they aren't really giving me a lot of options with the "simple" cake order.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 4

Last-minute cakes can't be expected to be high-concept works of art. I'd do what she asked - put a few buttercream roses and Happy Birthday on it in the neatest and most beautiful style you can muster on less than 24 hours notice.

carmijok Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 4

Why not just look in the gallery at the tons of birthday cakes here to get an idea. Or, when in doubt polka dots are girly without being girly, Make a bow out of gum paste (it dries really fast). She's 18. Something in an animal print like zebra or leopard. And, like I said, there's a lot more ideas in this gallery than just about anywhere. Also,, I like to go to Google images and look there to.

leeyn Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:09am
post #4 of 4

I will just go with the Wilton graduation cake from a few years ago - the one with the 3 or 4 BC roses(even though I'm not a big fan of it) - only because it is simple.... icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%