Meringue Powder Vs. Dream Whip Powder

Baking By Redness82 Updated 5 May 2011 , 4:55pm by TexasSugar

Redness82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redness82 Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all!

Newbie here! I just started the first of the Wilton Cake Decorating classes. Yay! I had bought the ingredients for Indydebi's Buttercream recipe. However, in the Wilton class, the buttercream ingredients call for meringue powder instead of dream whip... Can these be used interchangeably in the buttercream recipes?

I figure they say Wilton Meringue powder because it is a Wilton product, and they want to promote their own products...

Thanks!!

Red

5 replies
blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

I teach Wilton classes and yes we are suppose to make their buttercream with the meringue powder. However, I don't think you should use them interchangeably. I love indyDebi's buttercream recipe and use a modified version for my personal baking. However, when it comes to making royal icing you can not substitute Dream Whip for the meringue powder. You can however use Wilton Color Flo or dried egg whites in place of the Meringue powder. The Meringue Powder in Wilton's buttercream recipe gives the icing stability without changing the flavor. Dream Whip also add flavor to the buttercream.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

The two are completely different products. Meringue powder is basically powdered eggwhites . Dream whip is a whipped topping more like whipped cream. There are buttercream recipes that use meringue and some use dream whip.

Redness82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redness82 Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the information!! These are all good things to know! I love the decorating part of the cakes, but am just starting to understand and enjoy the mixing/baking part of the cakes!

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 6

blissfulbaker would you mind sharing your modified Indydebi recipe?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6

As was stated above, the MP and Dream whip aren't the same thing.

As a WMI, I always ask my students to use the recipe that comes in the course book for class room stuff. That is so if there are any issues with the icing your instructor should be able to help you fix it. By all means feel free to play with different recipes out there, at home. But for class stuff I would use what is suggested in the book.

I've made Debi's recipe and like it. So please note I have nothing against it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%