Bride Wants Cofee, Chocolate, Kahlua Flavors For Cake

Decorating By missy2008 Updated 16 May 2011 , 7:58pm by missy2008

missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 10

any good ideas? the wedding cake will be iced and decorated with buttercream icing.
I'm thinking half chocolate based cakes and half white based cakes, but am getting stumped with flavor combos. help? they like coffee, they like Kahlua, but not sure wedding guests (or Mother of bride) will also loove these flavors. what to do?

9 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 10

The first idea that comes to mind is that you can blend those 3 flavors into one tier, so that you can have the others being white based. I don't think brides should think of just themselves when choosing a cake flavor. I don't like chocolate cake and when I go to a wedding, I expect there will be some kind of vanilla cake or white cake for me!

Something like this chocolate/coffee/kahlua could be good:

http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2009/09/mud-slide-chocolate-cake-with-coffee.html

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 10

Well #1, the cake is the bride's and if she wants it all chocolate and coffee and kahlua... then that's what she should get. icon_smile.gif

What I would do is a chocolate cake brushed with some kahlua with a mocha buttercream made with a touch of chocolate and coffee added. You can do instant espresso if you can't add too much liquid to your BC without it getting too soft or you can brew some REALLY strong coffee and add that as your liquid... it depends on your tastes and how your BC behaves.

If she's interested in having some non-chocolate layers in there you can do a coffee flavored cake with kahlua buttercream or vanilla with mocha buttercream, but I would definitely go with what the bride wants. You can't please everyone, and it is the couple's day. It's not a super odd combo like green tea or something like that... that would be one where I'd suggest maybe just doing the top tier that flavor and the rest something more broadly accepted.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 10

I agree that it is the Bride's day and she should get whatever she wants for her wedding cake. I make a chocolate Khalua cake, I use the chocolate WASC and substitute Khalua for the water. I would do a Khalua BC with it, just use you favorite BC recipe and add a little bit of Khalua, you can use Khalua coffee flavoring syrup if you are worried about the alcohol not beign cooked out of the BC.

missy2008 Posted 8 May 2011 , 1:53am
post #5 of 10

thank you for the suggestions. time to get to the kitchen to create!! you can always count on the CC peeps to help out!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:24am
post #6 of 10

it is true that the bride should have what she wants, but she should want to be thoughtful of any guests that have diet restrictions too. Even though this day is about her, in truth the reception is actually a party for the guests to thank them for coming to celebrate their nuptials and I would hope that if she were to be suggested to that there be another kind of cake available for those with diet restrictions that she would be open to the idea of doing a white sheet cake. There are lots and lots of people out there now a days that have restrictions to caffiene and other things so I do not believe that she would be doing it for just one or two people. I also know quite a few people that do not like the taste of coffee in their food. I don't like coffee myself, but I am unique in the way that I do like coffee in things. I love the Tiramisu dessert and it is full of coffee, but I also think that any considerate person would be willing to consider doing either layers of different kinds of cakes in her wedding cake or doing some different flavors in sheet cake form. Coffee is one of those flavors that is not always easy for people to like. It is not like chocolate or raspberry or strawberry or white cake. I would suggest to her that she do one layer only of the coffee flavors--make it the biggest one if she wishes and then do some other flavor for the rest of the layers or do some sheet cakes that are very simply decorated that are white.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:33am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules5000

it is true that the bride should have what she wants, but she should want to be thoughtful of any guests that have diet restrictions too. Even though this day is about her, in truth the reception is actually a party for the guests to thank them for coming to celebrate their nuptials and I would hope that if she were to be suggested to that there be another kind of cake available for those with diet restrictions that she would be open to the idea of doing a white sheet cake.

Phew! Thank you! For a moment I thought that I was the only person in the world who thought that the reception is not just for the bride; the bride doesn't eat that whole cake all by herself. It's her day but she's got to attend to her guests. That's why I think that there should always be at least one tier with a flavor that everyone would like.

I did think, though, that the OP mentioned that it was the bride who was being mindful of her mother and other guests not liking the chocolate/coffee flavor she liked. There's always extra tiers that can be made into other flavors, thank goodness.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy2008

any good ideas? the wedding cake will be iced and decorated with buttercream icing.
I'm thinking half chocolate based cakes and half white based cakes, but am getting stumped with flavor combos. help? they like coffee, they like Kahlua, but not sure wedding guests (or Mother of bride) will also loove these flavors. what to do?

Check out the info in my signature -- that may help you as well. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #9 of 10

Most of the time, judging from what I have heard from friends and read here and other places on the net, the bride and groom often get to eat no more of the wedding cake than the one bite they share at the cutting ceremony. A bride's choice can often be influenced by the baker, asking her to consider the taste preferences of her guests, imo.

missy2008 Posted 16 May 2011 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 10

The bride chose a chocolate cake made with coffee, torted with a chocolate ganache spiked with Kahula and plain buttercream icing. This combo will be 2 tiers, and the other 3 tiers will be white cake. one layer of white cake will have a caramel filling, the other layers will have plain buttercream. I did have to 'direct' her to pick the white cake layers, but I think all the guests will have something to eat now. thanks for all the suggestions and support!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%