Some Foam Core Questions...

Decorating By peanut2 Updated 6 May 2011 , 9:54pm by peanut2

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:24am
post #1 of 12

I did a search, but I seem to have trouble finding things on here. Anyway, I have a few foam core questions.

1. How do you cut the boards to get the right size?

2. I assume you need to cover the boards? What do you cover them with? Do you use a glue gun as an adhesive?

3. For those of you who use scrap booking paper to cover (LOVE that!), I assume you use clear contact paper to cover that? How do the edges look?

I appreciate any info or feedback. The craft store here has foam core on sale (1/2 price), so it's a good time to stock up. Mind you, it's not even expensive at full price...

11 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:55am
post #2 of 12

Cut them with a butterknife. You can use a pan to trace around to get your circle and yes you need to cover it with something or it will soak up grease. Wax paper or contact paper works good too. Ribbon around the edges covers the ugly.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 12

I cut the foamboard with a box cutter. If I want the shape of a circle I use a gadget I picked up at home depot for about $10-here's the link to see what it looks like :
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100377278/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=drywall+cutter&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search
It works really well. I don't always cover my boards but if I do I use fondant or scrap booking paper. Since my cakes are all on cardboard rounds I don't put any clear paper over the board. Hope this helps.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 12

I trace the pan with an edible marker and cut the shape with an exacto knife. The shape pops right out fron the board. I use Glad Press & Seal wrap to cover each foam board. With this wrap, no need to use an adhesive-it clings to the board really well.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 12

I also use an x-actco knife, but it really dulls the blade!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 12

I use a hot knife and it cuts like with smooth edges

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #7 of 12

I use a box cutter to cut them. To size them, I'll either use a pan, or use the handy dandy circle template my honey made me. It's very high-tech, and super-specialized. Just kidding...it's a piece of 1X2 with holes drilled at 1" intervals along the length. I put a screw in one end, a pencil in the other, and draw a circle the size I need.

I like to cover them with wrapping paper, then contact paper. Wrapping paper is cheap, can be had in ANY color/pattern/design, and is readily available. I've covered with cling wrap in a pinch, also.

I also use ribbon around the edge. Easy-peasy.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 May 2011 , 1:34am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I also use an x-actco knife, but it really dulls the blade!

I agree!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #9 of 12

This is what I use http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar0770.htm Much easier then an exacto knife

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 6 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #10 of 12

For those that are covering the foam core with wrapping paper, doesn't it get stained by the grease in the buttercream?

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 12

SugarKisses, I cover the wrapping paper in contact paper. My cakes are always on cake boards or thin foamcore so they don't touch the contact paper. That keeps the wrapping paper from becoming greasy.

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%