Searching For A Go To Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By SweetTs Updated 5 May 2011 , 2:52pm by cakeladydi

SweetTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTs Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:42am
post #1 of 9

I have tried numerous chocolate cake recipes...wasc, toba garrett, the hersheys recipe...and I can't seem to find a chocolate cake that I am happy with. Either it isn't rich enough or it's crumbly or I don't think they are moist enough! Any recipe suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

8 replies
katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:04am
post #2 of 9

I made the Hershey's Perfect Choc. cake last week. I used hot coffee instead of the boiling water it called for. I also made the Hershey choc. frosting for it. I watched my cooking time carefully to ensure it didn't over bake and wrapped my layers in double plastic wrap while still warm and refridgerated overnight. It was moist and delicious and talk about rich and uber chocolately (at least to me it was). Everyone loved it and ate it up.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:35am
post #3 of 9

I too use the Hershey's Perfectly Choc. recipe. I add coffee in place of the water. I used to have a problem with it sinking in the middle, but have moved my rack down 1 space and now have no problem. It is a very moist cake. I don't wrap it while it's warm but after it has cooled and it is very, very moist.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 9

I had the same problem...couldn't find a "go to" recipe for chocolate cake. I tried the Hershey's one and didn't like it at all.
I tried Ina Garten's Beatty Chocolate Cake recipe and it's beautiful. It doesn't seem too different from the Hershey's one if you look at the recipe, but it comes out perfectly every time.
I've had so many calls and requests about it recently, and it's my most requested cake.

Here's a link to the recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 9

This is my family's (and all my friends') favorite. It gets mixed in about 5 minutes, in one bowl, and if you don't want to, you don't even have to use a mixer. It has sour cream and oil, so it works all the time.

Sour cream chocolate cake from Sky High. I've never made the frosting (lack of time).

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

I would say there are so many good ones out there that you might have to try a few to see which ones you like!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 9

Intense dk choc flavor, very rich and moist. Great for stacking, carving (chilled). Can eat it without any icing, too! Does have a tendancy not to rise, so I've made 2 recipes to make my layers in a 10" pan. I use 2 inverted nails & wrap the pans in baking strips. Keep my pans on medium shelf and do NOT open oven door. Bakes a long time (1 hr 10 min). Cool in pan, invert & leave pan on, cool all way. Wrap in plastic/handi-wrap tight (without the pan.) Freeze overnight or put in freezer for a bit, then stack/ice/tort, etc.

3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut(my note: Ive used bakers block chocolate)

1 1/2 cups hot fresh brewed coffee (my note: DILUTED w/hot water, about ¾ c diluted coffee to the water, leaves no coffee taste at all.)
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 large eggs (my note: add 1 yolk to the 3 eggs, keeps the crumb tight)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla (my note: 1 Tabl. Vanilla is way better)

Preparation
Make cake layers:
Preheat oven to 300°F keep it no more than 300 or will dry out cake. and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 9

I use the Hershey recipe and I love it. Completely no fail.Its not good for carving, but its so moist, I never had it come out dry.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 9

my goto chocolate cake recipe is the 'Darn good chocolate cake' you can find it in the recipe section.
moist chocolate chocolatey goodness.

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 9

Don't know how you feel about doctored cake mix recipes but this is the only chocolate cake I make:

1 Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
1 Small Box Instant Chocolate Pudding
1/4 Cup Hersheys Syrup
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Oil
4 XL Eggs

Bake as directed on the box. Turns out perfect every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%