I Was Just Wondering?

Decorating By frasercakes2011 Updated 5 May 2011 , 10:22pm by Coral3

frasercakes2011 Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of 15

i love to bake it brings me extreme joy and happiness but im not to good at making a cake look gorgeous when i decorate it. Does anyone think that if i keep practicing that one day my cakes will be as pretty as most of the cakes i see on here? or do you just have to be blessed with the talent of decorating?

14 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 15

Of course if you practice you'll get better. And spend lots and lots of time on CC - the resources here are ENDLESS!! I've never taken a class - some people say I'm "self taught", but I like to say I'm "CC taught"!! icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 15

NOBODY starts out decorating like a pro!!

And to illustrate that fact, here is a link to one of Edna's (of 'Design Me A Cake') fabulous creations:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=404377238295&set=a.10150133806723296.323702.263955423295&type=1&theater

...and here is a photo she posted of her very first decorated cake
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=437299243295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater

Also, check out her 'before' and 'after' pictures of calla lillies she has made: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437299243295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater#!/photo.php?fbid=452995308295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater&pid=6106098&id=263955423295

See? - Even the most talented cakers had humble beginnings!!
icon_smile.gif

joycesdaughter111 Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:01am
post #4 of 15

Cake Central is the best thing that ever happend to my cakes! Stop by here often and you will get better. icon_wink.gif

Cupcations Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:06am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

NOBODY starts out decorating like a pro!!

And to illustrate that fact, here is a link to one of Edna's (of 'Design Me A Cake') fabulous creations:
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=404377238295&set=a.10150133806723296.323702.263955423295&type=1&theater

...and here is a photo she posted of her very first decorated cake
https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=437299243295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater

Also, check out her 'before' and 'after' pictures of calla lillies she has made: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437299243295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater#!/photo.php?fbid=452995308295&set=a.437299053295.222889.263955423295&type=1&theater&pid=6106098&id=263955423295

See? - Even the most talented cakers had humble beginnings!!
icon_smile.gif




icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

No one is perfect I mean we all had a "first cake" that we were all so icon_surprised.gif about it.... And now we're thumbsdown.gif about the same pic that left us sleepless that night

My very first (about a year ago)

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1890773

NOW

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2012745

Im not perfect but by looking at my pictures I know Im getting better thumbs_up.gif
never give up icon_biggrin.gif

jo3d33 Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:22am
post #6 of 15

Your not alone! Everyone has to start somewhere! This site is AMAZING! I have learned so much from this site!

Here is my first cake....
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1678534

This is my latest one, taken last weekend approx 2 1/2 years apart and I'm STILL learning!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2020871

frasercakes2011 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:23am
post #7 of 15

thank you all so much for all the encouragement you all make such beautiful cakes and im going to keep trying til I get there icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:36am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3d33


This is my latest one, taken last weekend approx 2 1/2 years apart and I'm STILL learning!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2020871




So cute! - what little girl wouldn't LOVE that eh? icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:45am
post #9 of 15

This is fun! My turn! icon_biggrin.gif

My very first decorated cake:

Image

and my most recent one, three years (and a whole cupboard full of cake-toys icon_lol.gif ) later: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2020202

Anyone else got some 'before' and 'after' pics to share? icon_smile.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:48am
post #10 of 15

If you want a photo to show up in your post, here's how:

First upload the photo into an online photo site like Photobucket (getting a photobucket account is easy and FREE) then just copy the photo's image code (IMG Code) from photobucket and paste it into your post. Then when you hit 'submit comment' the photo will display in the thread. Easy.

Photobucket is here: http://photobucket.com/

I'm pretty sure you can also use Flickr like this too - just look for the image code (IMG code) and copy and paste it.

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:51am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations


http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2012745

Im not perfect but by looking at my pictures I know Im getting better thumbs_up.gif
never give up icon_biggrin.gif




Gorgeous - I love the red rose in the fourth (?) pic especially. Very striking!

Karadactyl Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:34am
post #13 of 15

I agree with what everyone else said! I've only been doing this for about four months but already I see a huge improvement in my skills! CC has been such a blessing. Just keep reading and practicing!

debbief Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:37pm
post #14 of 15

coral3, did you sculpt all those fish on your first decorated cake? If so, I'm very impressed!

Love the statement about three years and a cupboard full of toys later icon_biggrin.gif I can totally relate to that. I can't believe how much cake stuff I've accumulated in the little over 1 year that I've been doing this. It's almost embarassing considering it's a hobby icon_redface.gif

Love seeing these pics everyone. Just goes to show the OP that YES you too can do this. Like Edna said, if you have the passion and you practice...how can you not do it? Although I can't see how I'd ever be as amazing as Edna! But I bet I'm as passionate icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

coral3, did you sculpt all those fish on your first decorated cake? If so, I'm very impressed!

Love the statement about three years and a cupboard full of toys later icon_biggrin.gif I can totally relate to that. I can't believe how much cake stuff I've accumulated in the little over 1 year that I've been doing this. It's almost embarassing considering it's a hobby icon_redface.gif

Love seeing these pics everyone. Just goes to show the OP that YES you too can do this. Like Edna said, if you have the passion and you practice...how can you not do it? Although I can't see how I'd ever be as amazing as Edna! But I bet I'm as passionate icon_biggrin.gif




Yes I did make the fish - my first play with fondant & I was hooked icon_biggrin.gif When I had to make that cake (for my son's 1st birthday) I went out and bought the cutters for the letters, a few pots of wilton gel colour and packet of fondant...other than that I had NO cake tools or toys to work with other than the standard kitchen equipment that everyone has. Now I can't even fit all my cake toys in the cupboard...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%