What Would You Charge For "cake Decorating Party"

Business By lovenintheoven Updated 5 May 2011 , 11:16pm by poohsmomma

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

I have a request to do a cake party with twelve 10 year old girls. 6 inch cakes that they will frost, then cover in fondant and we have fun decorating. What would you charge? Please keep in mind I am in an expensive zip code with people that don't think twice about paying 250.00 for a basic fondant covered 12" cake, or 8.00 and up per serving for wedding cakes. This is my first request for this...any thoughts? I luckily have enough small rollers, just need small spreaders.

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #2 of 5

How long are you going to have the party for? If it's only an hour you may think of having the 6 inch cakes already crumb coated. Getting 10 year olds all moving in the same direction may take more time than you thinkicon_smile.gif

For pricing I would figure out how much you charge for an already decorated 6 inch fondant cake (basic decoration). Also calculate how long it would take you to cover 12, 6 inch cakes in fondant. If you could do 12 6 inch cakes in an hour, then I would charge close to or the same as your standard base price. The thing to consider is the amount of wasted fondant, buttercream and decorating items. Additionally you have the setup and cleanup time for the party and account for other cake orders you could have been working on at that time.

I saw a cake shop who offered cake decorating parties and they charged $25 or $30 per child but I think they did buttercream cakes with fondant decorations. I love the idea. I hope it goes well for you.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

we price our cake parties at $175, for that it is two kids for 1 hour 45 minutes with a six inch cake, we also provide a small snack ( usually a cupcake with some fruit and a drink), additional kids are at 20 each,

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 5

I would start with at least crumb coated, maybe fondant covered too. They are likely to be VERY into designing their masterpiece. Creating their pieces to be applied will take plenty of time on its own. I would charge $20 per student for tutoring fee with a base charge for the cakes. IMHO.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 5 May 2011 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 5

I've taught some basic buttercream classes to adults. I also taught middle school for 25 years. I can't imagine having the girls ice in bc and put on fondant.
If I were doing this, I would prepare the cakes with a smoothed buttercream. Then teach the girls how to make some Duff roses, ribbon roses, zebra stripes, polka dots, etc. and let them spend the time decorating. IMHO, you're not going to keep their attention through the frosting, smoothing, and applying fondant-they will have more fun creating fondant decorations.

Just remembered-I have also done one-on-one- lessons with an 8 year old. She told me beforehand what she wanted to make. I had the cake ready and we decorated it with fondant palm trees and monkeys and made a banana/coconut rolled fondant border. Took about 2 hours to do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%