Wedding Cake Help: Charge For Flowers, Bows, Toppers???

Decorating By BellaRoca Updated 9 May 2011 , 3:38pm by stormrider

BellaRoca Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone, so Ive made a bunch of cakes but no wedding cakes yet. I just got an order for one (see picture) and it has bows, flowers & a topper on it. Do I charge extra for these? And if so, how do I charge for them? Or are some of these things that the bride provides? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

also, do you think this cake looks like fondant or bc? i was thinking fondant... also do those look like real ribbon or fondant? thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

Image [/img]

11 replies
leah_s Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 12

Totally looks like bc to me. The ribbon is real as are the brooches and fresh flowers on the top.

I tell the bride how much ribbon to buy and then she provides it. Ditto the brooches and she needs to remember to order the flowers from the florist fo rthe topper. The florist will leave them a the venue for you to put on the cake. Be sure to specific tha tht etopper needs to be arranged by the florist - no raw sems should be inserted into cake.

BellaRoca Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:40am
post #3 of 12

So do you ever provide the flowers (if they are silk) or the ribbon and just charge the customer? Lets say she doesnt want to mess with it...?
Wasnt sure what is standard....
Also, one last question, when using separator plates, do you ask for these back or do they just throw them out?
Thanks again for your help ...i really appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

i didnt realize how many things there are to consider when doing wedding cakes....ive only done special occasion cakes so far icon_smile.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:56am
post #4 of 12

I am different than Leah. I buy any real ribbon for the cake since I want to make sure it is the ribbon I want to use (thick enough, non-wired, etc) unless the bride has a specific color in mind. I will also buy silks, unless they want to pick them out themselves. I don't charge extra for the ribbon and for the silks, it would depend on how many the cake needed and the size of the cake. If I need a few stems for a topper, I wouldn't charge extra... a cascade... I would charge extra.

BellaRoca Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:44am
post #5 of 12

I was thinkin bout doin wat pink said and not charging extra or just charging what the ribbon/silk flowers cost. Pink, do u ask for the plastic seperator plates back from the customer or do they trash these? Also I was thinking this cake looked like buttercream too except for the balls lining each those look like fondant to u?

FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 7:47am
post #6 of 12

Fabric ribbon and fake flowers are not food safe. So I am like Leah, if it's not edible I do not provide it. To me I think it's a liability issue, if the ribbon and flowers are NOT purchased by me but I have in writing they were provided by the bride and she instructed me to use them despite them being un-edible and most likely not food safe, I'm covered if someone gets sick from some weird fabric dye or lead poisoning. Sounds extreme, but I'm a worry wart like that, and it's totally plausible that it could happen.

I actually strongly encourage my brides to just let me make fondant ribbon just for those reasons, and it's actually easier for me to make and put on the cake then messing with real ribbon.

Basic structure of the cake like seperator plates are built into the cost of the cake. To me, the PIMA factor of chasing people down after a massive affair like their wedding far exceeds my desire to save a few bucks by just replacing the cheap plates. However if it was a massive support structure, cake stands or any other big ticket item to replace then I require an additional deposit on them and the terms of how and when they get returned are clearly stated in my contract. Of course I have yet to make a cake like this, I generally just use cardboard rounds and bubble straws, but it's in my contract just in case one comes up!

BellaRoca Posted 9 May 2011 , 11:24am
post #7 of 12

Thanks fromscratch! That is so helpful.....and answers all my questions. At least for now.... icon_wink.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 12

I have a clause in my contract about non-edibles, including fresh flowers, and that the bride acknowledges they are not food safe and that they are responsible if anyone gets sick.

I also don't worry about the plates.

BellaRoca Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 12

Can someone send me their non edible clause wording.....I'm just not sure what exactly to put...?

FromScratchSF Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 12
Originally Posted by BellaRoca

Can someone send me their non edible clause wording.....I'm just not sure what exactly to put...?

I got my current contract right here off CC - here's the thread - the contract that was 1st posted has since been taken down in it's edited version, I was the weirdo that copied it, edited it, and posted it in Dropbox for anyone else to download at the end of the thread.

I suggest reading the WHOLE thread, I made adjustments to the contract to suit my purposes, you will need to edit it to suite your own AND check for it's legality in your state.

Although I don't have working in it specific to fabric ribbon or fabric flowers, if I had a bride asking for them I'd just add a few words to the existing flower clause (which I have done twice).

Good luck,

stormrider Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 12

Borrowed from contracts I've seen online for flowers:

You acknowledge that fresh flowers are not a food product, and may contain pesticides, insects, dirt, or other contaminants.

You could do similar wording for ribbons, cake toppers etc.

stormrider Posted 9 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 12

Meant to add this too:

Our products may contain or come into contact with milk, wheat, nuts, soy, and other allergens. You agree to notify your guests of this risk and hold us harmless for allergic reactions.

You should protect yourself from every possible issue

Quote by @%username% on %date%