Elmo

Decorating By kim19 Updated 5 May 2011 , 2:48am by JanH

kim19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim19 Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so I'm trying to do an elmo cake and I'd like to make the Elmo out of RKT. I know this may sound silly but can somebody help with tips on how to make him stay 'put together' if I try to keep him about 7 inches tall or is that too tall? Please help!!

3 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 4

Have you used RKT before? I've used them a few times and have learned that they need to be crunched down really good, like squished all together. I would put all of the elmo pieces together using melted chocolate or royal icing - but make sure you dowel each piece too. For example, if you're going to put his arm on, stick a dowel in the top of the arm portion, cover the RKT around the dowl with melted chocolate or royal icing, and then stick it together. Then I would probably cover him with chocolate ganche (maybe a .5:1 ratio) so the ganache gets hard and holds the entire thing together. Then buttercream or fondant over that icon_smile.gif

kim19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim19 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:31am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much. This is actaully my first experience with RKT but the info you have provided makes it much clearer as to what I should do, I will post a pic of the end resulticon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #4 of 4

3D Elmo RKT cake topper tutorial (with RKT recipe):

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/HowTo-Elmo.pdf

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%