Help: Fondant Ribbon

Decorating By creativecreationsbykamica Updated 4 May 2011 , 11:39pm by creativecreationsbykamica

creativecreationsbykamica Posted 4 May 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 7

How do I wrap Fondant Ribbon around a 24" Square & "20 Square cake???

I am rolling it out but it starts tearing and I can get it long enough for one solid piece & it looks tacky w/ 2 pieces!!

So if anyone can help please do!! This is for a wedding on Saturday May 7th!!

6 replies
MelaMang75 Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 7

It might help to roll it out on shortening instead of cornstarch/powdered sugar.

FromScratchSF Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 7

Hello, once you cut your fondant roll it up like a tape measure. It actually helps it from drying out and makes it really easy to literally roll back onto the cake. You still have to work somewhat fast, but this makes things really easy. I normally don't pimp Wilton products because I hate that company, but Wilton makes a fondant ribbon cutter that I use ALL the time. That thing is handy! I can ribbon a 12" cake in less then 10 minutes, and that includes trimming with a tracing wheel to get that cool ribbon stitching effect, dusting with luster dust, and getting it on the cake.

Good luck,

Jen

FromScratchSF Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaMang75

It might help to roll it out on shortening instead of cornstarch/powdered sugar.

I wouldn't do this - the shortening makes the fondant sticky, so when you are dealing with strips of fondant it'll stick on itself like a piece of scotch tape. Big mess.

creativecreationsbykamica Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelaMang75

I'm gonna try & see! I usually don't have to use cornstarch/powdered sugar but today I have had too! Maybe it's a change in the atmosphere!! I'm gonna try the shortening way!!

But I am still open to other ideas CC

tokazodo Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 7

I am a firm believer that the weather plays a big part in sugar.

If your ribbon is ripping, why not just place a flower or some kind of other decoration over the rip?

Good Luck! Let us know how you made out!

tokazodo

creativecreationsbykamica Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 7

Here is the link to the cake I am making!

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/bows-and-bling-wedding-cake-2010-03-06.htm

The bride said NO flowers!! And she didn't want the rhinestones on the square tiers she wants turq fondant ribbon to look like the round tiers!! I am feeling alittle overwhelmed at the moment so I'm not going to do anything else until the morning! I'll just bake cakes & make buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%