Size And Proportion Question

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 4 May 2011 , 11:22pm by cheatize

Elaine2581 Posted 4 May 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 4

I've decided to try to make a shirt and tie and stethoscope for a doctor's 50th birthday. My husband will be taking it to his office and they need at least 50 servings plus he wanted to be sure the doc had some left to take home to his family. I plan to make a 2-layer 11x15 inch cake but after looking at others here, it seems that they are all single layer cakes. So I'm wondering if it will look odd to have the cake 4 inches tall. I don't have time to do much decorating on the sides because I need it for Tuesday the 17th and I'm making a graduation cake for the 15th. Would love to hear your opinions and suggestions. Thanks.

3 replies
Baker_Rose Posted 4 May 2011 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 4

I make these cakes all the time for people who like the layered cakes with filling, but the ease of cutting a sheet cake. They don't look weird at all.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Posted 4 May 2011 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, I've made them, too. They look quite nice. You can certainly get away with putting all the decoration on the top with just icing or fondant on the sides. According to the volume calculation on metria's site
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi
you can get about 80 servings from a 2-layer 11" x 15" sheet (standard 1" x 2" x 4")servings, so that should be plenty.

cheatize Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 4

I made a karate uniform top cake and it was two layers. It looked great. I iced it all in buttercream and the sides were white just like the top of the cake. No extra decoration necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%