Cake Tastings

Decorating By ReGene Updated 20 May 2011 , 5:14am by ReGene

ReGene Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am a newby living in a small town wanting to do some specialty cakes and wedding cakes. I would appreciate any ideas on doing cake tastings. Do you make cake flavors and fillings ahead separately and then freeze them in individual sizes for later?

I am on a fixed income so careful of waste. Want to do quality and be resourceful. I am not doing enough biz to do 4-5 each week and have alot wasted.

I am open for any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
KellyJo3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #2 of 5

I charge a 20.00 fee for tastings and they get to pick 3 cake flavors and fillings. I make sure to find out how many people are coming before hand (I have a limit of 4 people) and I bring in enough cake for whoever is coming. Usually I bring a 2" slice for each person. I have 3 kids and a husband who loves cake, so I let them have the left overs after I've cut slices for the clients. I know some people will freeze the left overs or have them frozen before hand also. I'm sure someone else will respond with other ideas. Good luck! : )

cakegirl1973 Posted 5 May 2011 , 12:33am
post #3 of 5

I purposely schedule all of my tastings on one day, so I don't have much waste. I bake three flavors (choc., white & one other that I pick). I give each person an uniced 2" piece of each. Icings and fillings (sleeved fillings) are on the side. They can mix and match as they would like. I keep the sleeved fillings in the fridge-one sleeve covers many, many tastings. I do not charge for tastings. Hope this helps!

indydebi Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #4 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tray&&start=0
this thread has a LOT of good photos and tips from a number of CCers. check it out for some great ideas!

ReGene Posted 20 May 2011 , 5:14am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your generous sharing of ideas.

Indydebi, I appreciate the thread you provided. I am so excited about the ideas provided and really liked the different presentations.

A family friend has asked me to do their wedding cake and I can't wait to do a "practice" tasting with them!

I'm so glad I found cc. I combined several ideas from the gallery and did a piano recital cake last weekend and everyone loved it! It is so nice to share ideas. I always try to do something uncommon or unique and sometimes, I just draw a blank. Seeing what others have come up with can jump start my creative juices cookin'.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%