Silicone Moulds

Decorating By nanefy Updated 4 May 2011 , 11:31pm by nanefy

nanefy Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 4

OK, before this gets bumped to the makeyourownmolds.com forum can I say, that I don't think it belongs there because I'm trying to find my own products that I can make instead of buying brand name products.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time looking into food safe silicone and products and need someone who is experienced in the art to give me some advice.

I have found the silicone I want to use and that's fine - it's food safe RTV silicone. I've also discovered that you cant just use any ordinary clay, it has to be a sulphur free clay or the silicone may not set up properly. Some examples are Klean Klay or ColourClay stay soft modelling clay. Here is where I am having my biggest dilemma. In order to seal my lace, I need to use some form of food safe wax. I have found a recipe to create a food safe wax paste which is:

12 oz of Mineral Oil
2 oz of bee's wax
1/2 oz of Carnuba wax

Depending on the consistency you are trying to achieve you can add more or less mineral oil (in fact you don't need to use mineral oil, you could use essential oil, but that's expensive). I've also read that you can use non-toxic acrylic spray paint, but I'm not so sure about that.

Can anyone tell me if this recipe sounds right or does anyone use any other home made sealants???

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Rusti Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

I've made a few molds and heard a lot people saying to try melting down some canning wax and brush it on to whatever it is you are making a mold of. Then when you put it in the heat it will saturate.
Canning wax is obviously food safe.

nanefy Posted 4 May 2011 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 4

cool - I just googled canning wax and it says it is paraffin wax, is that right?

nanefy Posted 4 May 2011 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 4

OK - I've just found a recipe for food grade wax paste/cream and it's a simple mixture of oil and bees wax. I already have bees wax and I have oil, so I'm going to give it a bash. My intention is that as soon as I've been successful at making the molds, I shall basically post a tutorial, because there is WAY too little information for the hobby mold maker who wants to do it on a budget. I think I've almost cracked it though, so once I've done a test I'll update this post with the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%