Beautiful Job, Projectqueen

Decorating By Heebers Updated 4 May 2011 , 8:14pm by Alfiesmom

Heebers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heebers Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I'm new here. I was researching cakes and came accross this group of talented people, and decided to join.
I've never been a great cook or baker, but I'm determined to learn!
This weekend is my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. I'm sorry to say my dad is very ill, (stage 4 cancer), and this will be his last party. But they're both excited about the party, and I'm trying to make their cake myself so I can give them a special acknowledgement of their lives together.
I saw the cake made by Projectqueen in 2006 and I was amazed!!!!! I can't imagine making such beautiful flowers as the ones on her cake, but I've got several other ideas. One is that I've got a champagne glass from their wedding reception, and it's light as a feather, so I was wondering about using it as part of the decoration on top. And the other issue is that I haven't found a proper frosting spatula, so if anyone has any special tips about tools used for frosting cakes, I'd be thrilled to hear them.
You are all a bunch of remarkable artists!!!! So nice to see your creations. Warmly, Heebers

4 replies
genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome! It's so nice to have such a positive posting! The best advice I've gotten about cake tools is that they don't have to be "cake" tools! Got to your local home improvement stone and think stainless steel. Scrapers and spackle knives usually used for concrete or tile can be very helpful and much less expensive than the alternatives. PVC pipe is great ad a mold or former for flowers and petals and leaves. Think outside the box and you'll have much more fun and save money too.

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 5

I don't actually have much to add. I just wanted to say that when I read your post my heart went out to you. It's really something to see that despite a very sad situation, you are taking your energy and applying it in way that is so positive to you and brings everyone together. That really is wonderful.

((hugs))

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebers

And the other issue is that I haven't found a proper frosting spatula,

Dexter-Russell is quality:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/dexter-russell/s2496/p9162.aspx

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 5