How Do I Stop Gum Paste Items Being Damaged By A Moist Cake

Decorating By Crazy-Gray Updated 4 May 2011 , 4:18pm by TexasSugar

Crazy-Gray Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 4

I shall explain: a long gumpaste gun barrel for a tank modelled and air dried for a week inserted into the cake after covering with BC & fondant softened and sagged, trying to secure with royal icing caused further weakening making the gun simply snap off where the royal finished- I assume the moist royal caused the weakening before it set.
This happens every time I try to secure something like a teapot handle, wing mirrors for cars etc, anything that uses a length of pointed gumpaste which is to be inserted into the cake to secure. I have tried using spaghetti pieces but they seem to go very brittle if left touching BC overnight....

Does anyone have any pointers? I have ended up using a non edible dowel for the tank gun and cocktail sticks to secure things but I'd really like there to be nothing inedible if possible!

Hoping you can help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
leah_s Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 4

I use toothpicks, skewers, dowels, etc. Sometimes I don't really care if it's not edible, when I need to care more about it staying put/not breaking.

genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4

Ditto what Leah said! Skewers are fantastic! My guess is that the people eating the cake won't look at you as less of a caker for using some inedible support! Hey- those guys on TV do it all the time!

TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 4

Wanting to be all edible is great, but there are times when it just doesn't work. Most anything icing wise, fondant and gumpaste are going to soften when stuck in a moist environment like a cake. The moisture causes it to soften and melt.

I would do as Leah suggested, you can build in a toothpick for the actual insertion and the fondant/gumpaste can start on the outside of the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%