Question About Fresh Flowers On Cake

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 4 May 2011 , 8:30pm by cai0311

uberathlete Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I have a customer who wants fresh flowers on her wedding cake. While it is easy enough to get non-toxic flowers in my area, it is almost impossible to find ones that are pesticide free. My question is, if the flowers are not going to touch the cake at all, would it be okay to use non-pesticide free flowers? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

5 replies
cai0311 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 6

Almost all my wedding cakes have fresh flowers on them, and they touch the cake. The florist supplies the flowers - I tell the bride to make sure the flowers are non toxic. Pesticide free flowers, especially for a wedding, are impossible to find here (I would think most places are the same). If the flowers are not sprayed, then they have to be grown indoors/green house to limit their exposure to bugs. The flowers will be eaten to nubs if left outside with no spray.

No bride wants half eaten flowers on her cake, center pieces... So, the flowers come from a grower that sprays.

Have you ever popped a grape in your mouth without washing it? I would think that the amount of flower touching a cake slice would be comparable to that size. Which would mean the same amount of pesticides coming in contact with that piece, you just ate on that unwashed grape.

I have a bride in August that wants hydrangea flowers on her cake. I said "you do realize they are toxic, don't you?". Her response was "no, but I am okay with that".

ddaigle Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 6

I put non-toxic, fresh flowers on cakes often. I would never, ever, however, put a toxic flower on a cake regardless if the bride was ok with it. Hobby Lobby makes beautiful silks. I had a hydrangea cake order and I used silk. They looked very real.

cai0311 Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 6

I told the bride I will have nothing to do with the floral arrangement since she is picking a toxic flower. It is up to her/family/florist to put the flowers on the cake.

uberathlete Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not really concerned about toxicity, because non-toxic flowers are relatively easy to get. I'm wondering more about pesticides. Would it really be a huge health hazard if the flowers are not even touching the cake or just barely touching it?

cai0311 Posted 4 May 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 6

That is what my first post was mainly about...pesticides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%