Does 8In &6In Double Layer Need To Be Supported By Dowel

Decorating By mudderteresa Updated 5 May 2011 , 5:29pm by mudderteresa

mudderteresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudderteresa Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

i am doing an 8 and 6 inch double layer baby shower cake. do i need to separate the two with a cake board and dowels or can i just use the board?should i wait to stack them when i get it there?

5 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:22am
post #2 of 6

Always use a cake board between the tiers and always use a support system under the top cake tier (dowels or bubble tea straws). No matter the type of cake, you don't want the heavy top tier sinking into the bottom tier.

mbn504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbn504 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:27am
post #3 of 6

I also use a cake board and dowels for 8 and 6 inch layers, but I also insert (lightly hammer) a skewer - such as you would use for kabobs - through the layers to ensure that they don't shift during delivery. I usually put two through the top layer to the cardboard below in the bottom layer. These thin skewers go right through the cake boards.

mudderteresa Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 6

thank you so much! now i am doing fondant bubbles in between the 2 layers is it ok for me to transport it like that or should i stack it after i get there and then place the bubbles?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 6

You can travel with it stacked. I travel with 3 tiers stacked as long as the suporrt system is good

mudderteresa Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 6

you are awesome! thank you soooooooooo
much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%