Macsmom Chocolate Cake Questions

Baking By Bleighva Updated 23 May 2011 , 7:27pm by luntus

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to try and make this chocolate cake recipe as i hear that it is fabulous!

Chocolate WASC(macsmom's method ) - MacsMom
2 dark chocolate cake mixes
2 c cake flour (gives it a lighter crumb)
2 1/4 c sugar (extra sugar for moistness)
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt (less salt because of the cocoa powder)
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk (extra liquid because chocolate mixes tend to be thick)
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract

However my question is about the order in which i mix things in.... i haven't come across any directins for this recipe so am i just mixing dry and then adding all the wet ingredients? No order in particular? Also is there a difference in between cake flour and ap flour?

Thanks!

6 replies
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:12am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleighva

I am going to try and make this chocolate cake recipe as i hear that it is fabulous!

Chocolate WASC(macsmom's method ) - MacsMom
2 dark chocolate cake mixes
2 c cake flour (gives it a lighter crumb)
2 1/4 c sugar (extra sugar for moistness)
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 t salt (less salt because of the cocoa powder)
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk (extra liquid because chocolate mixes tend to be thick)
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract

However my question is about the order in which i mix things in.... i haven't come across any directions for this recipe so am i just mixing dry and then adding all the wet ingredients? No order in particular? Also is there a difference in between cake flour and ap flour?

Thanks!

Bleighva, do not stress...first of all, the difference between cake flour and AP flour is the wheat that is used to make it...cake flour is made of soft wheat and AP is a mixture of soft and hard wheat...cake flour makes a 'softer" product. Cake flour has less protein than AP. If your recipe calls for cake flour and you have none, take AP flour and remove 2 Tablespoons from each cup used. Some will tell you that cake flour is more acidic and enables the cake to rise better, but it depends on so many variables.
To put your cake together, (I use part of this recipe all the time) sift all the dry ingredients together (leaving out the chocolate pudding...that is what makes the cake so heavy, in my opinion) and add the rest to the cake (I do not use the extra chocolate milk, nor do I use the chocolate extract). I use very, very strong coffee and a Tablespoon of my homemade vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of real almond, and a teaspoon of butter extract. I bake it @ 300 degrees for the first 20 minutes, then I turn it up to 325 degrees to finish the cake.
Everyone loves my chocolate cakes, as they are not so heavy that they are 'too rich'. I do incorporate chocolate ganache as filling and that makes the cake perfectly balanced in flavor.

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:58am
post #3 of 7

I use this recipe all the time - it's wonderful!! I put all of the dry ingredients together and then whisk them to combine, then add my wet ingredients and mix. I do use the cake flour for this recipe - I've never tried it with AP flour.

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 7

Thank you guys so much, i have heard so much about this cake and i figured it is time to try it, not to mention i have been trying to find a good chocolate cake recipe. Another question for you guys, how much cake will this recipe make (what size pans and how many will it fill)?

Pagea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pagea Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:48am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleighva

Thank you guys so much, i have heard so much about this cake and i figured it is time to try it, not to mention i have been trying to find a good chocolate cake recipe. Another question for you guys, how much cake will this recipe make (what size pans and how many will it fill)?

I have filled two 9" x 3" .. HTH

-Page

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 23 May 2011 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 7

I make this recipe all the time...it's fabulous. Like eating a fudge brownie.
I use AP flour(2cps)as recipe calls for. Never had a problem. Enjoy, yum!

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 23 May 2011 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

this is my "go to" chocolate cake recipe with a few modifications. I don't add the chocolate extract but make the coffee very strong and use water instead of the milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%